Ajax. “Telamonian Ajax, Ajax the Great”
Ajax king of Salamis played an important role in the Trojan War. To distinguish him from Ajax, son of Oileus, he is called Telamonian Ajax, Greater Ajax, or “Ajax the Great”
- Alias: Telamonian Ajax, Ajax the Great
- Gender: Male
- Race: Human
- Occupation: Warrior
- Religion: Hellenic Pantheon
- Allies: Achilles, Patroclus, Odysseus, Menelaus, Diomedes, Greek warriors
- Enemies: Hector, Trojans
- Abode/Base of Operations: Salamis, Greek camp during the Trojan War
- Nationality: Greek (specifically from Salamis)
- Languages: Ancient Greek
- Alignment: Lawful Good
- Affiliation(s): Greek forces in the Trojan War
- Significant others: Not specifically mentioned in myths, though some sources suggest he had a wife named Tecmessa
Telamonian Ajax stands tall and resolute, a formidable warrior amidst the chaos of battle. With broad shoulders and a commanding presence, he possesses a strength matched only by his unwavering loyalty. Born into the illustrious lineage of Telamon, he carries the weight of his noble ancestry with pride.
Ajax is a man of action, driven by an insatiable thirst for glory and honor. His every move on the battlefield is deliberate, strategic, and executed with precision. As the embodiment of bravery and valor, he seeks to carve his name into the annals of history as one of the greatest warriors to have ever lived.
His mighty shield, forged from the finest materials, is a testament to his unyielding determination. It bears witness to the countless battles he has faced, its surface marred with the scars of fierce encounters. Ajax’s spear, always held firmly in his grasp, becomes an extension of his will, striking down his enemies with resounding force.
But Ajax’s motivations reach far beyond personal gain. He fights not solely for his own glory, but for the glory of his people, his family, and the honor of his name. With each victory, he aims to inspire future generations to embrace bravery and defend their land and heritage. His actions are driven by a profound sense of duty, to protect his homeland and ensure its prosperity for years to come.
Beneath his stoic exterior, Ajax harbors a profound sense of camaraderie. His loyalty to his comrades is unwavering, and he stands as a pillar of strength for those who fight alongside him. In the heat of battle, he displays unparalleled courage and fearlessness, leading by example and rallying his allies to victory.
Despite his extraordinary accomplishments on the battlefield, Ajax remains humble. He seeks no lavish rewards or grand titles; his satisfaction lies solely in the triumph of his people. He yearns for a world where honor, justice, and valor prevail, where the weak are protected, and the wicked are vanquished.
Telamonian Ajax, a name whispered in awe by both friend and foe alike, is a testament to the indomitable spirit of a true hero. With his unwavering dedication, unbreakable resolve, and unwritten code of honor, he strides fearlessly forward, ready to face any challenge that may come his way.
Ajax, the Telamonian Hero
Large Humanoid (Human), Lawful Good
Armor Class: 18 (Breastplate, Shield) Hit Points: 250 (20d10 + 140) Speed: 30 ft.
|24 (+7)||14 (+2)||24 (+7)||12 (+1)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)|
Saving Throws: Str +13, Con +13, Wis +8 Skills: Athletics +13, Intimidation +9 Senses: Passive Perception 13 Languages: Common, Ancient Greek Challenge Rating: 17 (18,000 XP)
Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Ajax fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Brute Strength: Ajax’s melee weapon attacks deal an extra 2d8 damage.
Actions Multiattack: Ajax makes three melee attacks: two with his waraxe and one with his shield bash.
Waraxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (2d12 + 7) slashing damage.
Shield Bash: Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Spear Throw: Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 60/180 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) piercing damage.
Reactions Shield Block: When Ajax is hit by a melee attack, he can use his shield to block the attack, gaining a +5 bonus to his AC against that attack.
Legendary Actions Ajax can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Ajax regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Shield Bash: Ajax makes a shield bash attack.
Champion’s Roar: Ajax lets out a powerful roar, inspiring his allies. Each friendly creature within 30 feet of Ajax gains advantage on their next attack roll or saving throw.
Intimidating Presence (Costs 2 Actions): Ajax uses his commanding presence to frighten a creature within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.
- Large Waraxe
- Javelins (x4)
- Potion of Healing
- Symbol of Zeus (Magic item: Grants advantage on Wisdom saving throws and resistance to lightning damage)
- Ajax’s Last Stand: Ajax, renowned for his unmatched strength and courage, is seeking worthy allies to join him in a final epic battle against overwhelming odds. Legends speak of an ancient prophecy that foretells the coming of a cataclysmic conflict, and Ajax believes this is the time when heroes must rise to protect the realm. He seeks adventurers who possess both skill and valor to stand alongside him on the battlefield, facing an enemy force that seems unstoppable. As the players join Ajax, they will witness firsthand the sheer might of the Telamonian hero and engage in desperate struggles to turn the tide of the war. Can they survive the onslaught and emerge victorious, securing their place in the annals of history?
- The Shield of Ajax: Legends tell of Ajax’s legendary shield, said to be impenetrable and bearing the power of the gods. However, the shield was shattered during a climactic battle against the Trojans, and its fragments were scattered across the land. Ajax seeks the aid of the players to embark on a perilous quest to retrieve these fragments and restore the shield to its former glory. Each fragment possesses a unique enchantment, granting extraordinary abilities to the wielder. As the players journey through dangerous realms and face formidable challenges, they must protect the fragments from falling into the wrong hands, as dark forces also seek to claim the shield’s power. Will they succeed in their quest and witness the shield’s true potential?
- Atonement for Betrayal: Ajax feels deep remorse for his actions in the aftermath of Achilles’ death, where he killed Greek soldiers in a fit of rage and jealousy. Haunted by guilt, Ajax seeks redemption and approaches the players with a proposition. He wishes to embark on a series of self-imposed challenges, tests of strength, integrity, and self-control, as a means of atoning for his past deeds. The players must accompany Ajax on this arduous journey, supporting him through physical trials, moral dilemmas, and battles against inner demons. As they aid Ajax in his quest for redemption, they may discover the true measure of a hero lies not just in physical prowess, but in the strength of character and the ability to rise above past mistakes.
- The Trojan Traitor: In a daring plan to infiltrate the Trojan ranks, Ajax seeks the players’ assistance in navigating the treacherous underworld of spies and informants. Their mission is to gather vital intelligence, disrupt enemy operations, and sow discord within the Trojan ranks. Posing as Trojan sympathizers, the players must gain the trust of key individuals and uncover Trojan secrets to weaken their defenses. However, they must tread carefully, as discovery could mean a swift demise. As they carry out Ajax’s intricate plan, they will engage in tense negotiations, engage in covert operations, and face moral dilemmas. Will they successfully gather the information needed to turn the tide of war and ensure the Greek victory?
- The Raging Bull: Inspired by Ajax’s unmatched fury and prowess in battle, a group of young warriors seeks his tutelage to learn the art of controlled aggression and master the battlefield. Ajax agrees to take them under his wing, recognizing their potential. As the players become Ajax’s proteges, they will undergo intense physical training, learn strategic combat techniques, and forge unbreakable bonds of camaraderie. Ajax will test their mettle through grueling challenges, pitting them against powerful adversaries and guiding them to become formidable warriors in their own right. Along the way, they will witness firsthand the honor, discipline, and sacrifice it takes to be a true hero.
- The Forgotten Hero: As time passes, tales of Ajax’s heroism begin to fade from memory. Ajax, feeling overlooked and forgotten, seeks bards and chroniclers to document his legendary feats and ensure his legacy endures. He approaches the players, recognizing their talents in storytelling and seeking their aid. The players will travel to various lands, gathering accounts of Ajax’s heroic deeds from those who witnessed them firsthand. They will engage in lively debates, uncover obscure legends, and seek out forgotten relics that hold the key to preserving Ajax’s legacy. Through their efforts, they will restore Ajax’s rightful place in the annals of history and immortalize his name for future generations.
- A Sacred Oath: Ajax is chosen to undertake a sacred quest on behalf of the gods, tasked with retrieving a powerful artifact that holds the key to restoring balance in the world. Recognizing the players’ unique abilities and noble hearts, Ajax invites them to join him on this perilous journey. They will venture into ancient ruins, face mythical beasts, and confront treacherous adversaries, all while guided by Ajax’s unwavering determination and unwavering faith. The artifact’s retrieval is not without its challenges, as malevolent forces seek to claim it for their nefarious purposes. Along the way, the players will witness Ajax’s unwavering loyalty to the gods and the lengths he will go to ensure the artifact’s safekeeping. Will they prove themselves worthy of divine favor and aid Ajax in his sacred mission?
- The Labyrinthine Dungeon: Ajax, known for his exceptional strength and endurance, has discovered an ancient labyrinth filled with deadly traps and formidable guardians. Believing that the labyrinth holds untold treasures and forgotten secrets, Ajax seeks a group of skilled adventurers to accompany him into its depths. The players will navigate the twisting passages, solve intricate puzzles, and face off against fearsome creatures that guard the labyrinth’s innermost sanctums. Ajax’s presence adds an extra layer of challenge and strategy, as his sheer might and unwavering resolve inspire the players to push their limits. Together, they will overcome the labyrinth’s trials, claim its treasures, and emerge as true champions of adventure.
- The Lost Brother: Ajax learns of a long-lost brother who was abducted in his infancy and raised by enemies of the Greek people. Determined to reunite with his sibling, Ajax enlists the players’ aid in a dangerous rescue mission. They must venture deep into enemy territory, facing treacherous landscapes, cunning adversaries, and deadly traps to bring Ajax’s brother home. Along the way, they will witness Ajax’s unwavering devotion and love for family, as he pushes himself to the limits to ensure his brother’s safety. Can they navigate the perils of their journey, overcome the odds, and reunite Ajax with the family he never knew?
- The Trial of Ajax: Ajax stands accused of a heinous crime he did not commit and faces a trial that could determine his fate. The players are tasked with gathering evidence, uncovering the truth, and proving Ajax’s innocence. They must delve into the depths of conspiracies, navigate political intrigue, and seek out witnesses who can testify in Ajax’s favor. Along the way, they will face formidable opposition from those who seek to see Ajax condemned. As the trial unfolds, the players will use their wits, charisma, and investigative skills to unravel the web of deceit and secure Ajax’s freedom. Can they ensure justice is served and protect Ajax from a life of unjust punishment?
Ajax 3.5 Stat Block
Trojan War: Roleplaying in the Age of Homeric Adventure
A Mythic Vistas Sourcebook for the d20 System
Written by Aaron Rosenberg
Ajax (or Aias) is the king of Salamis, and the largest and strongest man in the Achaean army. He is its greatest fighter after Achilles. Ajax is tall and handsome with curly brown hair and brown eyes. He has a massive build and heavy features.
Ajax is arrogant about his size and strength, and wades into battle when he should not; he trusts his own might to protect him. He is not bright, but is content to follow the lead of the other kings. He is straightforward, however, and does not like clever stratagems, preferring to attack head-on. Ajax is closest to his cousin Teucer, who often stands behind his shield and fires arrows into the enemy forces. Ajax is also good friends with Ajax the Runner (sometimes known as Lesser Ajax), with Achilles, and with Patroclus. He is one of the few who dislikes Odysseus, since he disapproves of the smaller mans constant need for cleverness.
|Male human |
|Hit Dice||19d10+76; hp 180|
|Speed||Spd 20 ft.|
|39, touch 11, flat-footed 38|
|Base Attack/Grapple||+19; Grp +23|
|Attack||+26 melee (1d10+9/1720, +1 bronze bastard sword) or +21 ranged (1d8+5, +1 throwing spear)|
|+26/+21/+16/+11 melee (1d10+9/1720, +1 bronze bastard sword) or +21 ranged (1d8+5, +1 throwing spear)|
|Space/Reach||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Saves||Fort +15, Ref +7, Will +6|
|Abilities||Strength 18, Dexterity 13, Constitution 18, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 14.|
|Skills||Boat +4, Climb +10, Decipher Omen +1, Diplomacy +4 (+6 against commoners), Drive +7, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate |
+18 (+22 against commoners), Jump +14, Knowledge (tactics) +6, Ride +5, Spot +2, Swim +4
|Feats||Cleave, Distinctive*, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus (greatsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Improved Critical (greatsword), Improved Sunder, Lion of the Field*, Mobility, Noble*, Power Attack, Quick Draw*, Shield Swing*, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Weapon Specialization (greatsword).|
Shield of Ajax
This huge +8 tower shield has seven layers of ox-hide and one of bronze. It is so large that it requires a 16 Strength to carry. It is built specifically for Ajax and is large enough to cover two individuals.
Strong transmutation; CL 30th; Weight 85 lb.
Currently in the World
Ajax, a towering figure with a robust build, stands at an imposing height, his broad shoulders and muscular frame a testament to his incredible strength. His deep-set eyes, gleaming with determination, are framed by a thick brow, exuding an air of unwavering focus. His closely-cropped hair, now touched with streaks of gray, hints at the years of battles he has endured. Ajax’s weathered face, adorned with scars earned in countless skirmishes, bears witness to his storied past as a warrior.
Currently, Ajax finds himself amidst the Greek camp during a lull in the ongoing Trojan War. The camp is a bustling hub of activity, with soldiers preparing weapons, tending to wounds, and honing their skills for the inevitable clashes to come. The air is thick with tension, as the Greeks and Trojans engage in a protracted conflict that has claimed countless lives.
Ajax’s mood is one of solemn determination. He carries the weight of responsibility upon his shoulders, understanding the pivotal role he plays in the defense of his comrades and the honor of his people. While a sense of weariness lingers, it is masked by an indomitable spirit, a resolute determination to face any challenges that lie ahead.
In this moment, Ajax finds himself in the midst of intense training, sparring with fellow warriors to keep his skills sharp. Sweat glistens on his brow as he maneuvers with grace and precision, his movements reflecting years of experience and disciplined training. With each swing of his weapon, he exudes a quiet confidence, aware that his strength and skill may tip the scales of victory in favor of the Greeks.
Surrounded by the sounds of clashing swords, the cries of battle drills, and the murmurs of strategizing warriors, Ajax remains focused, his mind unwavering in its commitment to the cause. He is a pillar of strength, a guardian of his comrades, and an unwavering symbol of courage amidst the chaos of war.
Ajax, also known as Ajax the Great or Telamonian Ajax, is a prominent figure in Greek mythology, celebrated for his valor and unwavering loyalty. He played a significant role in the Trojan War, showcasing his exceptional strength and warrior skills.
Ajax was the son of Telamon, a powerful king, and Periboea. Raised in the city of Salamis, he inherited a noble lineage that traced back to Zeus himself. Ajax was the cousin of the legendary hero Achilles and the half-brother of Teucer, a renowned archer.
From the onset of the Trojan War, Ajax stood out as one of the mightiest warriors among the Greek forces. He possessed incredible physical strength and was recognized for his unwavering bravery on the battlefield. Throughout the conflict, he engaged in numerous feats of heroism that left an indelible mark on Greek mythology.
One of Ajax’s most famous encounters occurred when he dueled Hector, the greatest warrior of the Trojan army. Chosen by lot to face each other, they clashed in a monumental battle. Ajax fought with unyielding determination, displaying his unmatched skill with spear and shield. The duel raged on for an entire day, each combatant landing powerful blows upon the other. However, as the sun set, Zeus intervened through his heralds, declaring the fight a draw. Both Ajax and Hector, acknowledging each other’s valor, exchanged gifts, establishing a bond of respect between them.
Another notable event involving Ajax unfolded when Patroclus, Achilles’ closest companion, was slain by Hector. Consumed by grief and rage, Achilles withdrew from battle, leaving the Greek forces vulnerable. In a desperate attempt to retrieve Patroclus’ body and honor his fallen comrade, Ajax became the guardian of the fallen warrior’s remains. Despite facing overwhelming odds, he valiantly fought against the Trojan forces, demonstrating unwavering loyalty and protecting Patroclus from desecration.
Ajax’s heroism, however, was overshadowed by a bitter dispute that unfolded during the war. Following the death of Achilles, there arose a contest among the Greek warriors to claim his magnificent armor. Ajax, having performed great deeds and believing himself worthy of the prize, felt betrayed when Odysseus was awarded the armor instead. Consumed by anger and anguish, Ajax fell into a state of madness and delusion. Under the influence of Athena’s curse, he mistakenly slaughtered a flock of sheep, mistaking them for his enemies. Overwhelmed by guilt and humiliation, Ajax took his own life, ending the tragic saga of a hero denied the recognition he believed he deserved.
Ajax’s legacy lived on even after his death. In the underworld, his soul refused to forgive Odysseus, perpetuating their feud even in the afterlife. His tale serves as a cautionary reminder of the fragile nature of honor and the devastating consequences of wounded pride.
Through his unwavering loyalty, unparalleled strength, and tragic demise, Ajax remains an iconic figure in Greek mythology, forever etched in the annals of heroic tales.