Mortal, if you could see what I see you would not question me. If you could hear the music I hear you would not sully the world with your muddy voice. If you could feel the wind I feel, or dream the vistas I dream you would know the truth’
The Quintessential Elf II
Author Shannon Kalvar
Publisher Mongoose Publishing
Publish date 2004
Bold dreamers live in a world quite unlike that of mortals. At least, unlike the world of mortals men consider sane. They speak of visions that obscure their sight of the mortal realm. They talk to voices that no one else can hear. They lift up their arms and shout at the moon, claiming that it is a great friend come to greet them.
Elves have a very different view of such things. Bold dreamers speak not of madness but of the world as it truly is. They see through the veil of mundane reality to the fundamental truth. Such awareness, such knowledge, cannot be expressed in a way that anyone who does not share their vision can understand. Profound Wisdom must therefore sound like madness to the rest of the world.
This unbound perspective allows the bold dreamer to drink deeply of the power of creation. At first he can only express his understanding through his own perceptions. Over time this changes, and he can show others the truth for brief moments. Those touched by the vision of a bold dreamer usually find their lives changed forever. One brush with the truth is enough to break hearts and mend worlds.
In order to become a bold dreamer the elf must have some congress with the fundamental powers. He must also not be too deeply tied to the mortal order; his insights transcend this world entirely. Elven wizards, sorcerers, clerics and bards often find themselves close to the bold dreamers way. Similarly, elven paladins and rangers may eventually come to qualify, though they find this path hard and long.
Hit Die: d6
To qualify to become a bold dreamer, a character must fulfil all the following criteria:
The bold dreamer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Charisma), Concentration (Constitution), Craft (all skills, taken separately) (Intelligence), Diplomacy (Charisma), Handle Animal (Charisma), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Intelligence), Perform (Charisma), Profession (all skills, taken separately) (Wisdom), Sense Motive (Wisdom), Sleight of Hand (Dexterity) and Spellcraft (Intelligence).
Skill Points At Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.
|The Bold |
|Class Level||Base Attack||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+2||+2||+2||Bound to truth, visions||+1 level to existing class|
|3rd||+1||+3||+3||+3||Unending dream (1st school)||+1 level to existing class|
|4th||+2||+4||+4||+4||Shroud of dreams|
|5th||+2||+4||+4||+4||+1 level to existing class|
|6th||+3||+5||+5||+5||Unending dream (2nd school)|
|7th||+3||+5||+5||+5||+1 level to existing class|
|9th||+4||+6||+6||+6||Unending dream (3rd school)||+1 level to existing class|
All of the following are features of the bold dreamer prestige class.
- Armour and Weapon Proficiency: Bold dreamers gain no new proficiencies with any weapons, or with armour or shields.
- Spells: The bold dreamer continues to gain spell power, albeit more slowly than other spellcasters do. At every odd level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th), the bold dreamer gains new spells as though he had also gained a level in any one spellcasting class he belonged to before becoming a bold dreamer. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
- Bound to Truth (Ex): At 1st level the bold dreamer becomes bound to the truth. He may never knowingly speak a falsehood, although he may couch the truth in layers of metaphor. If he speaks falsely he must atone as if he were a paladin who has broken his code of conduct. Until he does, he cannot use his class abilities or cast any spells.
- Visions (Sp): At 1st level the bold dreamer develops the ability to see past the surface of reality. He may, as a free action, activate any one of the following spells as a spell-like ability; arcane sight, discern lies or see invisible. The ability remains active for a number of rounds equal to the character’s Wisdom modifier plus his bold dreamer level (minimum of one round). When the character activates one of these abilities he receives a -1 penalty to his Will saves for the next hour – these penalties will accumulate if visions is used multiple times within one hour.
- Unending Dream (Ex): At 3rd level the bold dreamer’s visions guide him to greater power. He gains a +1 bonus to his effective caster level when casting spells from one school of his choice. At 6th level he may select a second school and at 9th he may select a third. The character may not select the same school multiple times. This level exceeds any caps placed on spells for the purpose of determining their maximum damage, duration or other numeric effects. For example, a fireball cast by an 9th level wizard/3rd level bold dreamer bold dreamer would roll 11d6 for damage rather than the usual capped amount of 10d6.
- Shroud of Dreams (Su): At 4th level the bold dreamer can draw his vision of reality around him like a protective shroud. He gains Spell Resistance equal to 15 + his Wisdom modifier. If the character already has Spell Resistance as a racial or class ability, he may add his Wisdom modifier to it instead of replacing it.
- True Speaking (Ex): At 10th level the bold dreamer’s words carry the ring of truth. A number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum once per day) he may speak about his visions so passionately that mortals find themselves believing in his dreams. All non-elves within a 30 foot radius of the character must make a Will save (DC 20) or believe whatever the elf says regardless of other information they may possess. They act as if under the influence of a Charm Person spell cast by a wizard with a caster level equal to the elf’s character level. This is a language dependent, mind-affecting ability.
Epic Bold Dreamer
- Hit Die: d6.
- Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.
- Spellcasting: The epic bold dreamer gains new caster levels in one of his existing caster classes every odd level after 10th bold dreamer level (i.e. 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 19th). He does not gain any new spells after 20th level.