The One Name They All Fear
Van Helsing is a 2004 American gothic action film written and directed by Stephen Sommers. It stars Hugh Jackman as vigilante monster hunter Van Helsing, and Kate Beckinsale as Anna Valerious. The film is an homage and tribute to the Universal Horror Monster films from the 1930s and ’40s (also produced by Universal Studios which were in turn based on novels by Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley), of which Sommers is a fan.
The eponymous character was inspired by the Dutch vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing from Irish author Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula. Distributed by Universal Pictures, the film includes a number of monsters such as Count Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster and werewolves in a way similar to the multi-monster movies that Universal produced in the 1940s, such as Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula.
Despite mostly negative reviews, the film grossed over $300 million worldwide.
- Hugh Jackman as Gabriel Van Helsing, a legendary hunter of monsters.
- Kate Beckinsale as Anna Valerious, together with her brother are the last descendants of an ancient Romanian family.
- Richard Roxburgh as Count Vladislaus Dracula , the ruler of Transylvania and Lord of the Vampires.
- David Wenham as Carl, a friar of the Holy Order.
- Shuler Hensley as Frankenstein’s Monster .
- Elena Anaya as Aleera, Dracula’s most sadistic concubine.
- Will Kemp as Velkan Valerious, Anna’s brother, who is turned into a werewolf.
- Kevin J. O’Connor as Igor, a former servant of Frankenstein’s, now working for Dracula.
- Alun Armstrong as Cardinal Jinette, Van Helsing’s superior in the Holy Order.
- Silvia Colloca as Verona, Dracula’s consort and the leader of the Brides.
- Josie Maran as Marishka, Dracula’s youngest concubine.
- Tom Fisher as Top Hat, a Transylvanian grave digger.
- Samuel West as Dr. Victor Frankenstein.
- Stephen H. Fisher as Dr. Jekyll.
- Robbie Coltrane as the voice of Mr. Hyde.