Pythia, Delphic Oracle
“Unveiling the Veil of Destiny: Pythia, the Enigmatic Delphic Oracle, and Her Cryptic Prophecies”
- Alias: Pythia, Delphic Oracle
- Gender: Female
- Race: Ophiduan (Hominis Caste)
- Occupation: Oracle, Seer
- Religion: Devoted to the god Apollo
- Allies: Temple priests, devotees of Apollo, seekers of prophecy
- Enemies: Those who seek to misuse her prophecies, skeptics who doubt her divine connection
- Abode/Base of Operations: Greece, Mount Parnassus, The sacred precinct of Delphi
- Nationality: Ancient Greek
- Languages: Ancient Greek, Oracle’s Tongue (Divine language of prophecies)
- Alignment: Lawful Neutral
- Affiliation(s): Servant of Apollo, revered figure within the Delphic temple
- Significant Others: Dedicated to her sacred role, no known personal relationships
In the ancient halls of the Delphic Oracle, a figure of mysterious wisdom emerges from the shadows, bearing the weight of divine revelations. Pythia, the enigmatic Delphic Oracle, stands as a conduit between mortal realms and the ethereal plane, her every word believed to be divinely inspired. Clad in robes that seem to shift like the currents of time, her eyes hold the secrets of centuries past and the destinies yet to unfold.
As the chosen vessel of the god Apollo, Pythia dedicates herself to deciphering the cryptic messages delivered by the divine, offering counsel and prophecies to those who seek her guidance. With an aura of otherworldly energy surrounding her, she weaves intricate tapestries of foresight, steering the course of empires and individuals alike. With every whispered word, she imparts insight into the grand tapestry of fate, illuminating the paths that mere mortals dare to tread.
Pythia’s quest for understanding transcends the limitations of time and space, her ceaseless curiosity driving her to explore the depths of the human soul and the cosmos itself. Though shrouded in an aura of solemnity, her true goal is to ensure the delicate balance of destiny remains intact. Through her visions, she seeks to offer a guiding hand to those who traverse the labyrinthine paths of life, while preserving the sanctity of the divine wisdom she channels.
Her realm is one of mystery, where the echoes of forgotten prophecies and whispered truths resonate in every shadow. Within the sacred precinct of Delphi, Pythia gazes into the swirling mists of the unknown, awaiting those who seek the illumination of her foresight. Yet, even as she delves into the enigmas of the cosmos, she bears the heavy weight of understanding that the future she unveils is merely one of many possibilities, intertwined in the complex web of fate.
Pythia, the Delphic Oracle
Medium Ophiduan (Hominis Caste), Lawful Neutral
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 90 (12d8 + 36)
Speed 30 ft.
|10 (+0)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||20 (+5)||18 (+4)|
Skills Insight +9, Religion +8, Persuasion +8
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Celestial, Ancient Greek
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
Divine Connection. Pythia has advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.
Oracle’s Insight. When Pythia makes an ability check or saving throw, she can roll a d6 and add the result to the roll.
Mystic Trance. Pythia can enter a trance-like state as a bonus action. While in this state, she gains advantage on Wisdom-based checks and saving throws. She remains in this trance for up to 1 minute or until she dismisses it (no action required).
Spellcasting. Pythia is a 12th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following cleric spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): guidance, mending, thaumaturgy
- 1st level (4 slots): bless, command, detect evil and good, sanctuary
- 2nd level (3 slots): augury, lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
- 3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, magic circle, remove curse
- 4th level (3 slots): divination, freedom of movement
- 5th level (2 slots): commune, greater restoration
Divine Prophecy (Recharge 6). Pythia foresees a glimpse of the future, granting her advantage on her next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
Guiding Words. As a reaction when an ally within 30 feet misses with an attack roll or fails an ability check, Pythia can whisper guiding words. The ally can reroll the d20 and must use the new roll.
Mystical Guidance. Pythia imparts divine wisdom to a willing creature she can see within 60 feet. The creature can add 1d6 to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw of its choice. The creature can wait until after it rolls before deciding to use the mystical guidance, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Pythia can take a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
- Whispers of Fate. Pythia conjures faint whispers of destiny, granting herself and her allies advantage on their next saving throw.
- Visions of the Past. Pythia reveals glimpses of forgotten knowledge, allowing herself and her allies to add 1d6 to their next Intelligence (History) check.
- Oracle’s Insight. Pythia grants herself and her allies temporary hit points equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1) as she channels the power of her prophetic abilities.
Pythia can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Pythia regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.
- Prophecy Strike. Pythia makes a weapon attack.
- Guiding Whisper. Pythia uses her Guiding Words ability.
- Mystical Insight (Costs 2 Actions). Pythia uses her Mystical Guidance ability.
Equipment Delphic robes, ancient staff of prophecy (functions as a quarterstaff, grants +1 bonus to spell attack rolls, and allows Pythia to cast divination once per day), oracle’s scrolls, sacred incense burner.
Roleplaying Note: Pythia, the Delphic Oracle, is a conduit of divine knowledge and foresight. As a member of the Ophiduan (Hominis Caste), she embodies both the serpentine nature of her race and the enigmatic qualities of a seer. Her mystical powers and deep connection to the divine allow her to guide those who seek her counsel and shape the destiny of individuals and nations alike.
Currently in the World
Pythia, the Delphic Oracle, stands as a striking figure within the sacred precinct of Delphi. Clad in flowing white robes adorned with intricate golden patterns, her presence exudes an aura of mystical reverence. Her dark, unblinking eyes hold a depth of ancient wisdom, and her gaunt, almost otherworldly appearance is a testament to her divine connection. The scales that cover her skin give her an air of enigmatic allure, marking her as a member of the Ophiduan Hominis Caste.
Currently, she is seated on a high-backed stone throne within the inner sanctum of the temple, surrounded by the delicate scent of burning incense. The flickering light of candles casts a soft, ethereal glow around her, adding to the mystical ambiance. Her expression is serene, yet intense, as she delves into a state of trance, her mind reaching out to the divine realm for visions and messages. The hushed murmurs of temple priests can be heard in the background, attending to the rituals that surround her prophetic pronouncements.
Pythia’s mood is one of solemn concentration, her senses attuned to the unseen threads of fate that she weaves into her prophecies. As she channels the words of Apollo, her connection to the divine realm is palpable, infusing the air with an almost tangible aura of otherworldly energy. Amidst the solemnity, there is an undercurrent of anticipation, as those gathered in the temple await her words that will shape the destinies of individuals, cities, and nations alike.