Professor Challenger is a tall, broad-shouldered man with a large, bushy beard. He has piercing blue eyes and a prominent nose. His hair is wild and unkempt, and he often appears disheveled. He carries himself with a confident, almost arrogant demeanor, and his booming voice commands attention. He is often seen wearing a tweed suit and a pith helmet.
- Alias – Professor Challenger
- Gender – Male
- Race – Human
- Occupation – Professor of Zoology and Anthropology
- Religion – Unknown
- Allies – Malone, Lord John Roxton, Professor Summerlee
- Enemies – Various antagonists encountered in his adventures
- Abode/Base of operations – London
- Nationality – England
- Languages – Common, Latin, Ancient Greek, Sumerian, Egyptian, Mayan, Nahuatl, Atlantean
- Alignment – Chaotic Good
- Affiliation(s) – The Zoological Institute, the British Association, the Royal Society
- Significant others – None
Professor George Edward Challenger is a brilliant and irascible scientist, a man of exceptional intellect and iron will. He is widely regarded as one of the most brilliant minds of his generation, having made numerous groundbreaking discoveries in the fields of zoology, paleontology, and geology. Despite his formidable intellect, he is also known for his impatience and his quick temper, which have earned him a reputation as a difficult and often confrontational personality.
Challenger’s obsession with the unknown and his insatiable curiosity have driven him to explore some of the most remote and dangerous corners of the world, from the Amazon rainforest to the frozen wastelands of the Arctic. He is driven by a fierce desire to uncover the secrets of the natural world and to unlock the mysteries of the universe. His ultimate goal is to prove the existence of a hidden world within our own, populated by creatures beyond our wildest imaginings.
Despite his prickly personality, Challenger has a small circle of close friends and allies who respect him for his intellect and his tireless pursuit of knowledge. His most notable companions include the intrepid journalist Edward Malone, who chronicled Challenger’s most famous exploits, and the eccentric scientist Professor Summerlee, who often serves as a counterbalance to Challenger’s more impulsive tendencies.
Challenger’s most famous adventure was his expedition to a plateau in the Amazon rainforest, where he discovered a lost world inhabited by prehistoric creatures, including dinosaurs and giant ape-like creatures. This discovery thrust him into the international spotlight and cemented his place in history as one of the greatest explorers of his time. Despite his many achievements, however, Challenger remains restless and continues to seek out new frontiers of scientific knowledge, driven by an insatiable curiosity that knows no bounds.
Professor George Challenger, the Challenger
Medium humanoid (human), chaotic good
Armor Class: 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 172 (15d8 + 90)
Speed: 30 ft.
STR 18 (+4) DEX 16 (+3) CON 20 (+5) INT 22 (+6) WIS 16 (+3) CHA 14 (+2)
Skills: Arcana +12, History +12, Investigation +12, Nature +12, Perception +9
Senses: passive Perception 19
Languages: Common, Latin, Ancient Greek, Sumerian, Egyptian, Mayan, Nahuatl, Atlantean
Challenge: 10 (5,900 XP)
Fearless. Challenger is immune to the frightened condition.
Expert Explorer. Professor Challenger has advantage on all ability checks related to navigation and survival.
Inspiring Leader. Professor Challenger can use an action to give a speech that inspires his allies within 30 feet of him. For the next hour, the allies gain temporary hit points equal to Challenger’s level + his Charisma modifier (14).
- Multiattack. Professor Challenger can make two attacks with his flintlock pistol or two attacks with his hunting rifle.
- Flintlock Pistol. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 40/120 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Hunting Rifle. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.
Challenger can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Challenger regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Cunning Action: Professor Challenger takes the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Attack: Professor Challenger makes one flintlock pistol attack.
Goad: Professor Challenger goads a creature within 30 feet of him that can hear and understand him. The creature must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or be forced to move its full speed directly toward Challenger.
Challenger’s Roar (Costs 2 Actions): Challenger lets out a deafening roar that can be heard up to 300 feet away. Each creature within 60 feet of him that can hear him must make a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 16 (3d10) thunder damage and is deafened for 1 minute. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage and isn’t deafened.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Challenger fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Challenger can use lair actions in his home or other known locations. On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), he can use one of the following lair actions:
- Challenger summons a prehistoric creature to fight alongside him. The creature lasts until it or Challenger is killed or until Challenger dismisses it as a bonus action.
- Challenger chooses a target within 120 feet of him and makes an Intelligence check contested by the target’s Wisdom (Insight) check. On a success, Challenger learns the target’s deepest fear or secret.
- Challenger conjures an otherworldly wind that blows from a point within 60 feet of him. Each creature in a 30-foot cone must make a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be pushed 20 feet away from the point. Creatures that fail the save also take 13 (3d8) bludgeoning damage.
Flintlock Pistol, Hunting Rifle, Machete, Binoculars, Leather Journal, Compass, Map, Rope (50 feet), Tent, Bedroll, Waterskin, Trail Rations (5 days)