Tapio, also known as the Lord of the Forest, is a Finnish forest spirit or god revered by hunters and those who rely on the forest for their livelihood.
- Pantheon: Finish Pantheon
- Deity Title: Tapio, the Forest Lord
- Deity Symbol: A stag, an acorn or a maple leaf
- Home Plane: Arvandor (The Plane of Elvenkind) or the Material Plane
- Deity Level: Lesser deity
- Alignment: Neutral Good
- Aliases: None
- Superior: Ilmarinen, the Creator
- Traditional Allies: Mielikki, goddess of the forest, hunters and animals; Annikki, Tellervo, Nyyrikki and Tuulikki, his children and fellow forest spirits
- Traditional Foes: None
- Divine Artifact: None
- Servants: Elven hunters, forest dwellers, some druids and rangers
- Servitor Creatures: Stags, deer, squirrels, birds, and other forest creatures
- Sacred Animal: Stags, deer
- Manifestations: Tapio is usually depicted as a tall and sturdy figure with a bushy beard, wearing a hooded cloak made of leaves, and carrying a bow or a staff. He is said to radiate a calm and peaceful aura, and to be surrounded by the sounds of the forest, like the rustling of leaves or the chirping of birds.
- Signs of Favor: Finding a rare or exotic type of forest plant or flower, having a successful hunt, or being protected from harm in the forest
- Worshipers: Elven hunters, forest dwellers, some druids and rangers
- Cleric Alignments: Neutral Good, Neutral
- Specialty Priests: None
- Holy Days: None
- Portfolio: Forest, hunting, animals, nature, wild plants
- Domains: Animal, Plant, Protection, Strength
- Favored Weapon: Bow
- Favored Class: Ranger
- Favored Race: Elves
- Duties of the Priesthood: Protecting the forest, ensuring a balance between hunting and conservation, providing guidance to hunters, performing rituals for successful hunts
- Major Cult/Temple Sites: None
- Benefits: Protection while hunting, good luck in finding game, the knowledge of where to find rare forest plants or flowers.
He is depicted as a wise and powerful deity with a close connection to nature, capable of granting success in hunting and protecting those who dwell in the forest.
The presence of Tapio is felt in the rustling of leaves, the swaying of branches, and the song of the birds. He is considered a protector of the forest and its creatures, and is revered by hunters and foresters alike for his ability to provide success in their pursuits. Tapio is also associated with the idea of growth and renewal, as the forest is always changing and adapting to the seasons.
Tapio can be worshipped as a deity of nature, hunting, and protection. Clerics and druids of Tapio are said to have powers that reflect the changing of the seasons and the growth of the forest. They may call upon the deity to aid in their hunting endeavors, protect their allies, or heal their wounds with the power of nature.
Tapio may also be worshipped by rangers and other characters who have a deep connection to the wilderness. These characters may seek his blessing for successful hunting trips or protection while traveling through the forest. In addition, they may seek Tapio’s guidance in understanding the natural world and learning to live in harmony with it.
- Size/Type: Large Immortal
- Hit Dice: 20d8+80 (160 hit points)
- Initiative: +10
- Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
- Armor Class: 40 (-1 size, +10 Dex, +21 natural), touch 19, flat-footed 30
- Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+33 Attack: Slam +31 melee (2d8+13) or bow +29 ranged (2d6+8/x3)
- Full Attack: Slam +31 melee (2d8+13) or bow +29 ranged (2d6+8/x3)
- Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
- Special Attacks:
- Domain powers, spell-like abilities, summon animals
- Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/epic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison, low-light vision, scent, wild empathy
- Saves: Fort +19, Ref +18, Will +21
- Abilities: Str 26, Dex 30, Con 20, Int 22, Wis 24, Cha 26
- Skills: Diplomacy +30, Handle Animal +30, Heal +25, Hide +30, Knowledge (Nature) +25, Listen +30, Move Silently +30, Spellcraft +25, Spot +30, Survival +30 Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (bow)
- Environment: Any forest
- Organization: Solitary
- Challenge Rating: 21
- Treasure: Double standard
- Alignment: Neutral
- Advancement: –
- Level Adjustment: –
Magic Weapons and Armor:
- Bow of the Hunter (Legendary): This bow is made from the finest yew and enchanted with powerful magic. It grants a +5 bonus to attack and damage rolls and has the ability to shoot arrows that deal extra damage to creatures with the [Animal] type. The bow also has the ability to summon animals to the wielder’s aid once per day.
- Antler Crown (Legendary): This crown is made from the antlers of a powerful stag and enchanted with magic. It grants the wearer a +5 bonus to Wisdom and a +2 bonus to natural armor. In addition, the crown has the ability to turn the wearer invisible once per day.
- Forest Plate (Legendary): This enchanted plate armor is made from the bark of trees and woven with leaves. It grants the wearer a +8 bonus to armor class and immunity to poison. The armor also has the ability to transport the wearer to a nearby forest once per day.