Dyggvi, the Cursed Undead King
- Alias – Dyggvi, the Undead King
- Gender – Male
- Race – Undead
- Occupation – Former King of Sweden, now a servant of Hel
- Religion – Worshipper of Odin and the Aesir
- Allies – None, but seeks to recruit followers to help him achieve his goal
- Enemies – Those who stand in his way, including other undead and followers of rival gods
- Abode/ Base of operations – Niflheim, the realm of the dead
- Nationality – Swedish
- Languages – Norse
- Alignment – Lawful Evil
- Affiliation(s) – None, currently serving Hel but seeks to break free from her control
- Significant others – None, but still harbors feelings of loyalty and love towards his former wife and children who are long dead.
Dyggvi is a legendary Swedish king of the House of Ynglings. He was a brave warrior and a skilled leader, who led his people to many victories in battles against neighboring tribes. However, after his death, his fate took a dark turn. Instead of being welcomed into the halls of the gods in Valhalla, he found himself in the underworld, as a concubine of Hel, the goddess of death.
As an undead king, Dyggvi’s body is partially decayed, and his skin is pale and cold to the touch. Despite his gruesome appearance, he still possesses his regal bearing and commanding presence. However, his time spent in the underworld has left him horrified and desperate to escape back to the mortal realm or reach Valhalla by any means necessary.
Dyggvi is a calculating and ruthless individual who will do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. He is intelligent, charismatic, and a skilled tactician, able to lead armies and inspire his followers. His desire to escape the underworld and find a way to Valhalla drives him to use any means at his disposal, including possession of living beings and manipulation of magical powers.
He has a ghostly and eerie appearance. His skin is pale and translucent, his eyes are sunken, and his clothing is tattered and torn. He emanates a haunting aura that gives off an otherworldly chill. Despite his undead status, he still retains the regal bearing and imposing presence he had in life.
Dyggvi’s ultimate goal is to regain his honor and glory in battle, to be welcomed back into the halls of Valhalla, and to serve the gods once more as a mighty warrior. But until then, he will stop at nothing to escape the grasp of Hel and return to the realm of the living.
Dyggvi, the Cursed Undead King
Medium undead, lawful evil
Armor Class: 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 220 (20d8 + 120)
Speed: 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||18 (+4)||22 (+6)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws: Wis +10, Cha +11
Skills: History +9, Intimidation +11, Perception +10
Damage Resistances: cold, necrotic
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses: darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages: Common, Old Norse
Challenge Rating: 16 (15,000 XP)
Undead Fortitude. If damage reduces Dyggvi to 0 hit points, he must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, Dyggvi drops to 1 hit point instead.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Dyggvi fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Resistance. He has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Rejuvenation. If Dyggvi’s body is destroyed, his spirit returns to Niflheim within 24 hours and reforms a new body there, regaining all its hit points.
Possession (Recharge 6). One humanoid that Dyggvi can see within 5 feet of him must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or be possessed by Dyggvi; Dyggvi then disappears, and the target is incapacitated and loses control of its body. Dyggvi now controls the body but doesn’t deprive the target of awareness. Dyggvi can’t be targeted by any attack, spell, or other effect, except ones that turn undead, and he retains his alignment, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. He otherwise uses the possessed target’s statistics, but doesn’t gain access to the target’s knowledge, class features, or proficiencies.
Multiattack. Dyggvi makes two longsword attacks.
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage.
- Frost Breath (Recharge 5-6). Dyggvi exhales an icy blast in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw, taking 63 (18d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Dyggvi can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Dyggvi regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Attack. Dyggvi makes one longsword attack.
- Move. Dyggvi moves up to half his speed.
- Chilling Presence (Costs 2 Actions). Dyggvi releases an aura of coldness in a 30-foot radius. Each creature in that area must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, creatures that fail the save have their speed halved until the end of their next turn.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Dyggvi can take a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
- Icy Wind. A blast of icy wind sweeps through the area. Each creature in the lair must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Frost Motes. Dyggvi creates a cloud of frosty motes that swirl around a creature he can see within 120 feet of him. The target must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or take 21 (6d6) cold damage and have its speed reduced by 10 feet until the end of its next turn.
- Chill Aura. Dyggvi can create a chill aura that lasts until he uses a different lair action. The aura fills the lair with a freezing cold that extinguishes non-magical flames and causes the temperature to drop by 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Any creature that starts its turn within the aura must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or take 21 (6d6) cold damage.
Dyggvi can use up to three lair actions per round. He can’t use the same lair action two rounds in a row.