“Warrior-Poet of Legends: Unleash the Power of Egill Skallagrímsson in Your Campaign!”
- Alias: Egill Skallagrímsson
- Gender: Male
- Race: Human
- Occupation: Warrior, Poet
- Religion: Norse Paganism
- Allies: Fellow Viking warriors, Skallagrímsson clan members
- Enemies: Kveldúlfr and those who wronged his family
- Abode/Base of Operations: Various locations in Norse lands, including Iceland and Scandinavia
- Nationality: Norse
- Languages: Old Norse, possibly some knowledge of other regional dialects
- Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
- Affiliation(s): Skallagrímsson clan, Viking warbands
- Significant Others: Possibly a wife and children, details may vary depending on interpretation of Norse sagas
Egill Skallagrímsson, a Viking warrior-poet, possesses an unwavering spirit fueled by both his indomitable prowess in battle and his poetic genius. He is a complex character driven by a desire for glory, revenge, and the pursuit of artistic expression. Egill’s tumultuous life has been shaped by a series of harrowing experiences, instilling in him a fierce determination to leave his mark on the world.
Born into a noble family, Egill faced tragedy at a young age when his father, Skallagrím, was killed by his own enemy, Kveldúlfr. Consumed by grief and a thirst for vengeance, Egill dedicated his life to becoming a formidable warrior, honing his skills with sword and shield to a razor’s edge. His relentless pursuit of Kveldúlfr and those who wronged his family has taken him to the farthest reaches of the Norse world.
However, Egill is not merely a warrior consumed by bloodlust. He is also a gifted poet, capable of weaving words into powerful verses that capture the essence of his experiences. Through his poetry, he seeks to immortalize his name and achievements, leaving a lasting legacy for future generations to admire. It is in the juxtaposition of his violent nature and his artistic soul that Egill finds a delicate balance, fueling his passion for both the sword and the pen.
Driven by his tumultuous past and an insatiable thirst for fame, Egill Skallagrímsson roams the lands, seeking battles to prove his worth and poetic inspiration to document his deeds. His actions are fueled by a burning desire to leave a mark on history, to become a legend that will echo through the ages. Whether he seeks honor, revenge, or artistic expression, Egill’s indomitable spirit and exceptional talents make him a force to be reckoned with, both on the battlefield and in the realm of words.
Medium humanoid (human), chaotic neutral
Armor Class: 18 (studded leather, shield) Hit Points: 145 (20d8 + 60) Speed: 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||16 (+3)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws: Str +8, Con +7 Skills: Athletics +8, Intimidation +7, Perception +5, Performance +9, Persuasion +9 Senses: Passive Perception 15 Languages: Common, Old Norse Challenge: 10 (5,900 XP)
Poetic Inspiration. Egill Skallagrímsson’s poetic genius grants him advantage on all Charisma (Performance) checks related to poetry and spoken word.
- War Axe. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d12 + 4) slashing damage.
- Throwing Axe. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Shield Bash. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Inspiring Words (Recharge 5-6). Egill Skallagrímsson recites a powerful poem, inspiring himself and his allies. All friendly creatures within 30 feet of Egill gain temporary hit points equal to 2d6 + his Charisma modifier (4). Additionally, they have advantage on their next saving throw before the end of their next turn.
Berserker Frenzy (Recharge 5-6). As a bonus action, Egill can enter a state of wild fury, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
- Advantage on Strength checks and saving throws.
- When Egill hits with a melee weapon attack, he deals an additional 1d6 damage.
- Egill has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Egill Skallagrímsson can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Egill Skallagrímsson regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Poetic Flourish. Egill Skallagrímsson recites a captivating verse, forcing one creature within 60 feet of him to make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 16) or become charmed for 1 minute. The charmed creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.
Warrior’s Resilience. Egill Skallagrímsson gains temporary hit points equal to his Charisma modifier (4).
Inspiring Performance. Egill Skallagrímsson uses his bonus action to inspire one friendly creature within 60 feet of him. The creature gains advantage on its next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw before the end of its next turn.
- Chain mail
- War axe
- 3 Throwing axes
- Explorer’s pack
- 50 feet of hempen rope
- History book of Norse sagas
Egill Skallagrímsson stands tall and sturdy, with a weathered face and a thick beard. He wears a suit of chain mail and carries a large war axe on his back, alongside a shield strapped to his arm. His eyes hold the intensity of a seasoned warrior, and his presence exudes confidence and determination.
Egill Skallagrímsson currently finds himself in a bustling Viking settlement, surrounded by his fellow warriors and shipmates. He is in the midst of preparing for an upcoming raid, sharpening his weapons and sharing tales of past victories with his comrades. His mood is focused and resolute, eagerly awaiting the next opportunity to test his mettle in battle and continue carving his name into the sagas of the North.
- The Sword of Vengeance: Egill Skallagrímsson is consumed by a burning desire for revenge against those who wronged him or his family. The players find themselves entangled in his quest for justice, drawn into a web of political intrigue and blood feuds. They must navigate the treacherous landscape of Norse society, facing powerful adversaries, unearthing long-buried secrets, and forging unlikely alliances to aid Egill in his vendetta. The journey takes them across rugged landscapes, from the courts of Jarls to the depths of forbidden forests, as they uncover the truth behind the ancient grudges that fuel Egill’s thirst for retribution.
- The Curse of the Berserker: Egill Skallagrímsson bears a burden that threatens to consume him – an uncontrollable berserker rage that he struggles to harness. The players are called upon to help him tame his inner fury before it brings ruin to all. They must embark on a quest to seek out ancient shamans, wise women, and legendary beings who hold the key to controlling the berserker spirit. Along the way, they face perilous trials and tests of their own strength, as they battle enemies who seek to exploit Egill’s power and unlock the secrets of his untamed rage. Their success or failure will determine not only Egill’s fate but also the balance of power in the realms of gods and men.
- The Norse Mythic Quest: Egill Skallagrímsson is on a perilous journey to retrieve a legendary artifact tied to the heart of Norse mythology. It could be the mighty hammer Mjölnir, said to summon the powers of thunder, or the spear Gungnir, crafted by the divine hands of the Allfather. The players join Egill on this epic quest, venturing into the realms of gods and giants, traversing treacherous lands, and battling mythical creatures of unimaginable power. Along the way, they encounter ancient beings and solve cryptic riddles that guard the secrets of the artifact, all while facing their own inner demons and testing the limits of their courage and resolve.
- The Poetic Legacy: Egill Skallagrímsson entrusts the players with safeguarding a collection of his precious poems, which hold not only artistic beauty but also potent mystical properties. These poems are sought after by dark forces who seek to harness their hidden magic for their own nefarious purposes. As the players protect the manuscripts, they discover that the verses themselves contain hidden clues that lead to ancient knowledge, forgotten realms, or powerful magical artifacts. They must defend the poems against thieves, malevolent sorcerers, and envious bards, all while deciphering the secrets within the verses and ensuring that Egill’s poetic legacy remains intact.
- The Haunting Melody: A haunting melody plagues Egill Skallagrímsson’s dreams, echoing from a distant past and hinting at a forgotten tragedy or unfinished business. The players are drawn into his quest to uncover the source of this haunting melody, delving into ancestral memories, communing with spirits, and seeking guidance from ancient seers. Their journey takes them through eerie landscapes and forgotten burial grounds, as they confront vengeful spirits, navigate the boundaries between the living and the dead, and ultimately face the source of the haunting. Their actions will bring peace to Egill’s troubled soul and unravel the mysteries that have haunted him for ages.
- The Saga of Valor: Egill Skallagrímsson, renowned for his poetic prowess and heroic deeds, seeks to immortalize the players’ own heroic exploits in an epic saga that will be sung for generations. They become the central characters in a series of heroic quests, battling fearsome monsters, overcoming daunting challenges, and witnessing extraordinary events that defy mortal comprehension. As they venture forth alongside Egill, they will face formidable adversaries, forge unbreakable bonds of camaraderie, and leave an indelible mark on the annals of history. The saga they create together will be a testament to their valor and the enduring legacy of their shared adventures.
- The Bardic Duel: Egill Skallagrímsson, the preeminent skald of the land, is challenged to a grand bardic duel by a rival poet. The players become his loyal support, aiding in the composition of verses, seeking rare inspirations from the natural world, and even participating in musical and poetic performances to secure Egill’s victory. They traverse the realms of gods and men, seeking the blessings of deities and encountering mythical creatures who can lend their voices to Egill’s cause. Together, they must outwit their rival, whose cunning schemes threaten to tarnish Egill’s reputation and diminish his standing in the realm of poetry.
- The Edda of Knowledge: Egill Skallagrímsson is driven by an insatiable thirst for knowledge, particularly the forbidden and hidden lore of the realms. He seeks ancient tomes, scrolls, and fragments of knowledge that are rumored to hold the keys to power, immortality, or cosmic secrets. The players accompany him on a perilous quest to uncover these forbidden texts, decipher cryptic scripts, and outsmart guardians both mortal and supernatural. Along the way, they grapple with moral dilemmas, facing the allure of dark knowledge and the consequences of their choices. The secrets they unearth may reshape the world, but at what cost?
Currently in the World
Egill Skallagrímsson is a rugged and imposing figure, standing tall at around 6 feet with a strong and muscular build. His wild mane of red hair and beard frames a weathered face marked with scars earned in countless battles. His piercing blue eyes hold a fierce intensity, reflecting his unwavering determination and fiery spirit. Egill’s weather-beaten skin bears the traces of a life spent under the harsh Norse sun and elements.
Currently, Egill finds himself in a bustling Viking longhouse, surrounded by fellow warriors celebrating a recent victory. The air is filled with the scent of mead and roasted meat, and the sound of rowdy laughter and raucous stories echoes throughout the hall. Despite the merriment around him, Egill maintains a solemn and brooding demeanor, his mind often wandering to past conflicts and the loss of loved ones. His clenched fists and furrowed brow hint at the lingering anger and grief that fuel his actions.
Dressed in well-worn leather armor adorned with intricate Nordic patterns and a cloak of dark fur, Egill carries himself with a powerful presence. His hand rests firmly on the hilt of a formidable battle-axe, a weapon that has become an extension of his own being. The notches carved into its handle serve as a grim reminder of the lives he has taken and the battles he has fought.
As Egill scans the room, his eyes catch the sight of a nearby skald reciting a poem in his honor. Though appreciative of the praise, a flicker of melancholy tugs at his heart, reminding him of his own poetic talent and the verses he has yet to write. Despite the tumultuous life of a warrior, Egill seeks solace and redemption in his poetic expressions, using his words to capture the beauty and brutality of the world around him.