Jean Lafitte, “The Terror of the Gulf”
“The Enigmatic Life and Daring Exploits of Jean Lafitte, the Legendary Pirate of the Gulf!”
- Alias: “The Terror of the Gulf”
- Gender: Male
- Race: Human
- Occupation: Pirate, Privateer
- Religion: Not specified (possibly Roman Catholic)
- Allies: Pierre Lafitte (his brother), Baratarian Pirates, Freebooters
- Enemies: Naval authorities, British and Spanish forces, rival pirates
- Abode/Base of Operations: Barataria Bay, Gulf Coast, Louisiana
- Nationality: French (with connections to the United States)
- Languages: French, English
- Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
- Affiliation(s): Independent pirate, occasionally aligned with the United States
- Significant Others: Not specified (rumored romantic involvement with women of various backgrounds)
Jean Lafitte, a charismatic and enigmatic figure, is a pirate and privateer who prowls the treacherous waters of the Gulf Coast. With his rugged charm and cunning intellect, Lafitte leads a life shrouded in mystery and adventure. Driven by a desire for wealth, freedom, and a taste for the thrill of the high seas, Lafitte plunders ships, smuggles goods, and engages in acts of piracy.
Born with a keen wit and an innate understanding of maritime strategy, Lafitte possesses an unwavering determination to carve out his own path in a world of tumultuous seas. His motivations lie in the pursuit of personal gain, as well as a deep-rooted desire for autonomy, unrestrained by the shackles of conventional society.
As a character, Lafitte is both alluring and elusive. His reputation as a cunning pirate, with an uncanny ability to outsmart his adversaries, has earned him the loyalty of a diverse crew. Men and women from all walks of life flock to his cause, drawn by the promise of wealth, adventure, and the freedom to live life on their own terms.
But Lafitte’s ambitions extend beyond personal enrichment. He dreams of establishing a pirate haven, a sanctuary where outcasts and misfits can find solace, camaraderie, and the spoils of their daring exploits. With this grand vision in mind, he seeks to unite pirates, smugglers, and privateers under his flag, creating a force to be reckoned with in the tumultuous waters of the Gulf Coast.
Yet, Lafitte’s path is not without its challenges. He faces relentless pursuits from naval authorities, rival pirates seeking to undermine his power, and the constant threat of treachery from within his own ranks. His resilience and strategic brilliance are put to the test time and again as he navigates through dangerous encounters, evades capture, and strives to maintain his reputation as the untamed captain of the seas.
In the heart of Jean Lafitte beats the spirit of a true adventurer. Driven by a thirst for freedom, the allure of uncharted horizons, and a yearning to leave his mark upon the pages of history, Lafitte is a force to be reckoned with—an icon of piracy, whose name echoes through the annals of time as a symbol of daring escapades and the unyielding pursuit of a life less ordinary.
Jean Lafitte, the Corsair of the Gulf
Medium humanoid (human), neutral
Armor Class 17 (studded leather) Hit Points 220 (20d8 + 120) Speed 30 ft.
|16 (+3)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +7, Wis +6 Skills Acrobatics +8, Athletics +7, Deception +11, Perception +6, Persuasion +11 Senses passive Perception 16 Languages Common, French Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)
Multiattack. Jean Lafitte makes three attacks: two with his rapier and one with his flintlock pistol.
- Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Flintlock Pistol. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 30/90 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage.
- Grappling Hook. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: The target is grappled (escape DC 16) if it is a Large or smaller creature. Lafitte can pull the grappled creature up to 20 feet toward him as a bonus action on his subsequent turns.
Legendary Actions Jean Lafitte can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Lafitte regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Riposte. He makes one rapier attack against a creature that missed him with a melee attack.
- Called Shot. He uses his flintlock pistol to make a precise shot. He makes a ranged attack against a creature, and on a hit, the target takes an additional 14 (4d6) piercing damage and must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.
- Intimidating Presence (Costs 2 Actions). Jean Lafitte uses his commanding presence to force one creature within 30 feet of him to make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes frightened for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Flintlock pistol
- Studded leather armor
- Grappling hook
- Pirate captain’s hat
- Decorative sash and belt with numerous pouches
- Map of the Gulf Coast
- Intricately designed locket (magical item, properties to be determined by the DM)
Traits Swashbuckler. Lafitte adds his Charisma modifier to his initiative rolls. In addition, he doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when he moves out of an enemy’s reach.
Cunning Action. Lafitte can take a bonus action to Dash, Disengage, or Hide.
Pirate’s Charm. Lafitte has advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks when interacting with other pirates and individuals sympathetic to piracy.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Jean Lafitte fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Lair Actions On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Jean Lafitte takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
- He can unleash a barrage of cannonfire from his hidden battery. Each creature within a 60-foot cone originating from Jean Lafitte must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- He can create an illusory fog that obscures vision within a 60-foot radius centered on him. Creatures within the fog have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and ranged attack rolls.
- Lafitte can use his legendary action, Intimidating Presence, without expending a legendary action.
Legendary Lair Jean Lafitte’s secret pirate hideout is a hidden cove nestled within a treacherous reef off the Gulf Coast. It is accessible only to those who possess his map and successfully navigate the hazardous waters. The lair is protected by hidden traps and guarded by loyal crew members. It is rumored to contain hidden chambers with vast treasures and secret passages leading to other pirate strongholds.
Jean Lafitte is a formidable and charismatic pirate captain, embodying the daring spirit and swashbuckling charm of a legendary seafarer. His agility, sharpshooting skills, and strategic cunning make him a dangerous opponent to face in combat. With his legendary actions, Lafitte can turn the tide of battle and outwit his foes. As a leader, he commands respect and loyalty from his crew, and his hidden lair holds secrets and riches waiting to be discovered by intrepid adventurers.
Currently in the World
Jean Lafitte, a tall and imposing figure, stands at around 6 feet, with a strong and well-built physique that speaks of years spent at sea. His weathered face bears the marks of countless adventures, with a closely trimmed beard framing a set of piercing blue eyes that reflect a mix of intelligence and mischief. Dark, unruly hair cascades down to his shoulders, perpetually tousled by the salty breeze.
Currently, Lafitte is aboard his ship, The Black Marauder, sailing through the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean. The ship, with its billowing black sails and intimidating figurehead of a snarling pirate, strikes fear into the hearts of those who dare to cross his path. Lafitte stands at the helm, his hands firmly gripping the wheel as he steers his vessel with the expertise of a seasoned captain.
The pirate’s surroundings are a vibrant tapestry of turquoise waters, dotted with lush tropical islands and sandy shores that beckon with the promise of hidden treasures. The air is thick with the scent of salt, mingling with the heady aroma of exotic blooms carried on the gentle breeze. Gulls wheel overhead, their cries blending with the distant sound of crashing waves against rocky cliffs.
Lafitte’s mood is one of focused determination, as he scans the horizon with a mixture of anticipation and shrewdness. His keen eyes, ever watchful, assess the surrounding seas for potential targets or signs of rival pirates. Though his expression remains stoic, a spark of excitement glimmers within his gaze, fueled by the thrill of the chase and the prospect of untold riches.
There is an air of confidence that radiates from Lafitte, an aura of unyielding charisma that draws both respect and fear from his crew. Despite the dangers that surround him, his magnetic presence instills a sense of loyalty among his followers, who eagerly await his orders and guidance.
Jean Lafitte, the pirate captain of legend, sails onward, driven by a burning desire for adventure, fortune, and the freedom of the open sea. With each passing wave, he leaves an indelible mark upon the history of piracy, forever etching his name into the annals of swashbuckling lore.