Briseis, Princess of Lyrnessus
“The Captive Princess: The Tragic Tale of Briseis in the Trojan War!”
- Alias: Princess of Lyrnessus
- Gender: Female
- Race: Human
- Occupation: Former princess, captive
- Religion: Greek mythology (likely adhered to the gods of her people, the Trojans)
- Allies: None initially, later forms alliances with other Trojan captives and sympathetic Greeks
- Enemies: Greek forces, particularly Achilles and the warriors who took part in the sack of Troy
- Abode/Base of Operations: Initially Lyrnessus (destroyed), then various Greek encampments during her captivity
- Nationality: Trojan
- Languages: Trojanspeak (likely an ancient Anatolian language), Greek
- Alignment: Neutral Good
- Affiliation(s): Formerly a princess of Lyrnessus, later aligns herself with the Trojan captives and their struggle for justice and freedom
- Significant Others: Initially married to King Mynes of Lyrnessus, later forms a complicated relationship with Achilles
Briseis, the Princess of Lyrnessus, finds herself thrust into the harrowing depths of the Trojan War, a conflict that tears apart nations and tests the limits of humanity. Her life is forever altered when she becomes a captive of the Greek forces, a prize claimed by Achilles, the mighty warrior. Stripped of her freedom and torn from her homeland, Briseis is thrust into a world of violence and despair.
As a character, Briseis possesses a remarkable strength of spirit that enables her to endure the horrors of war. Despite the injustices inflicted upon her, she refuses to be silenced or reduced to a mere possession. Briseis carries within her a burning determination to reclaim her agency, to rise above the circumstances that have befallen her, and to forge her own path.
Her experiences as a captive ignite a fire within her, a desire to challenge the norms and fight for her own liberation. Briseis yearns to break free from the chains of her captivity and to reclaim her identity as a proud Trojan princess. She refuses to be defined solely by her captors and dreams of a future where she can shape her own destiny.
Beyond her personal struggle, Briseis is driven by a deeper quest for justice and peace. Witnessing the devastating consequences of war, she becomes a staunch advocate for an end to the senseless bloodshed. Her empathy for the suffering of others fuels her determination to bring about change, to bridge the divide between Greeks and Trojans, and to sow the seeds of understanding.
In the midst of chaos and despair, Briseis clings to hope. She yearns for a world where people are not defined by their allegiances or the battles they fight, but by the compassion and humanity they show. Briseis aspires to leave a lasting legacy, to be remembered not as a captive princess, but as a symbol of resilience, strength, and the power of the human spirit.
Her journey is one of self-discovery, resilience, and the pursuit of freedom in the face of adversity. Briseis fights not only for herself but for the countless others whose voices have been silenced by the ravages of war. Her story is a testament to the indomitable spirit that can rise even in the darkest of times, and a reminder that true power lies not in the sword, but in the unwavering strength of the human soul.
Briseis, Queen of Lyrnessus
Medium humanoid (human), neutral good
Armor Class 14 (studded leather)
Hit Points 82 (15d8 + 15)
Speed 30 ft.
|12 (+1)||16 (+3)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws: Dex +6, Wis +6, Cha +7 Skills: Insight +6, Perception +6, Persuasion +7, History +5 Senses: Passive Perception 16 Languages: Common, Ancient Greek, Trojan
Challenge: 8 (3,900 XP)
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Briseis fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
- Unwavering Spirit: Briseis has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
- Multiattack: Briseis makes two attacks: one with her Shortsword and one with her Dagger, or two with her Dagger.
- Shortsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.
- Dagger: Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage.
- Inspiring Presence (3/Day): Briseis can use her presence to inspire allies within 30 feet. Allies gain advantage on their next attack roll or saving throw.
- Parry: When Briseis is hit by a melee attack, she can use her reaction to reduce the damage by 1d8 + 3.
Legendary Actions (3/Day):
- Tactical Maneuver: Briseis moves up to half her speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
- Insightful Strategist: Briseis makes an Insight check against a creature’s Deception check or Charisma saving throw. If she succeeds, she knows if the creature is lying or under magical influence.
- Call to Arms: Briseis inspires her allies, granting them an additional action on their turn.
- Shortsword (finely crafted, adorned with symbols of Troy)
- Dagger (a versatile weapon, concealed within her garments)
- Trojan-Style Armor (crafted to provide protection and mobility in battle)
- Pendant of Apollo (a symbol of divine guidance and protection)
- Scroll of Ancient Lore (contains valuable insights and knowledge of ancient civilizations)
Description: Briseis, the former Queen of Lyrnessus, is a resilient and courageous woman with striking features and an air of authority. She has piercing blue eyes that reflect her intelligence and determination. Dressed in Trojan-style armor, adorned with symbols of her fallen homeland, she carries herself with both grace and strength.
Driven by the desire to protect her people and seek justice for the tragedies of the Trojan War, Briseis wields a Shortsword and Dagger with expertise and precision. She is a skilled combatant, utilizing her agility and strategic mind to outmaneuver her foes. Her presence on the battlefield inspires those fighting alongside her, boosting their morale and resolve.
Briseis is constantly seeking knowledge and understanding of the ancient world, carrying a scroll of ancient lore that contains valuable insights into history and mythology. She wears a pendant of Apollo, the god of prophecy and healing, as a symbol of divine guidance and protection.
In battle, Briseis demonstrates her mastery of swordplay, swiftly striking down enemies with her Shortsword and using her Dagger for close-quarters combat. She can parry incoming attacks with her exceptional reflexes, minimizing damage. Additionally, she possesses insightful strategist abilities, allowing her to discern truth from deception and inspire her allies to fight with renewed vigor.
Briseis embodies the spirit of a resilient and noble warrior, driven by her past and fueled by her determination to ensure a brighter future for her people.
- The Last Queen of Lyrnessus: Briseis is the last surviving member of the royal family of Lyrnessus, a city that fell during the Trojan War. Players can seek her out to unravel the tragic history of her homeland and learn about its rich culture and traditions. They may be tasked with helping her preserve the legacy of Lyrnessus by safeguarding ancient artifacts, recovering lost knowledge, or even rebuilding the city from its ruins.
- Seeker of Ancient Lore: Briseis has dedicated her life to studying the ancient civilizations that predate the Trojan War. Players can approach her with questions about forgotten cultures, mythical creatures, or the mysteries of ancient magic. She may provide them with quests to uncover hidden ruins, decipher cryptic inscriptions, or retrieve ancient texts that hold the key to long-lost knowledge.
- The Trojan War Survivor: As a survivor of the Trojan War, Briseis carries the weight of the conflict’s tragedies. Players can interact with her to gain a firsthand perspective on the war’s impact on both Trojans and Greeks. She may share personal stories of heroism, sacrifice, and the toll that war takes on individuals and societies. This can lead players to reflect on the complex nature of war, morality, and the human experience.
- Guardian of Apollo’s Pendant: Briseis possesses a pendant bestowed upon her by the god Apollo himself. The pendant is said to grant limited healing abilities and divine guidance. Players can approach her seeking assistance with ailments or to seek visions and prophecies related to their quests. Briseis may require them to undertake tasks in service to Apollo or help her protect the pendant from those who would misuse its powers.
- Defender of the Oppressed: Briseis is a staunch defender of justice and an advocate for the oppressed. Players can find her at the forefront of social causes, fighting against tyranny, slavery, and discrimination. They may be drawn into her efforts to free captives, dismantle oppressive systems, and bring about social change. Briseis can serve as a moral compass, guiding players to make difficult choices and question the status quo.
- Master of Tactical Warfare: Briseis is renowned for her tactical brilliance on the battlefield. Players can witness her strategic mind at work, observing her ability to analyze enemy forces, devise clever battle plans, and lead troops to victory. They may be invited to join her in military campaigns against common foes or seek her advice on overcoming challenging encounters. Briseis can teach players valuable lessons about strategy, leadership, and the art of war.
- Vendetta Against Achilles: Briseis holds a deep-seated vendetta against Achilles, the Greek warrior who killed her husband and brought devastation to her city. Players can join her in her quest for vengeance, tracking down Achilles and confronting him in a climactic showdown. Along the way, they may uncover the complexities of their relationship, the tragedy of war, and the consequences of unchecked rage and pride.
- Champion of Women’s Empowerment: Briseis is a fierce advocate for women’s rights and empowerment in a male-dominated world. Players can collaborate with her in various endeavors to challenge societal norms, dismantle patriarchal structures, and uplift women in all walks of life. They may find themselves engaged in missions to protect women from abuse, establish safe havens, or promote education and independence. Briseis can inspire players to question gender roles, champion equality, and effect positive change.
Currently in the World
Briseis is a young woman of striking beauty, with flowing, dark hair cascading down to her shoulders and expressive, deep-set eyes that reflect both strength and sorrow. Her features are delicate yet resilient, bearing the marks of her tumultuous journey. Her skin, once fair and unblemished, now bears the scars of conflict and hardship.
Currently, Briseis finds herself in a Greek encampment, having been captured and taken as a slave by Achilles, the legendary warrior. Despite her status as a captive, she carries herself with an air of quiet dignity, refusing to be broken by her circumstances. She often wears simple, practical garments, a stark contrast to the luxurious attire she once donned as a princess.
Surrounded by the sights and sounds of the encampment, Briseis maintains an air of introspection. Her mood is a complex mix of resilience, grief, and determination. She has endured great loss, witnessing the fall of her city and the deaths of loved ones. Yet, she remains unyielding in her resolve to reclaim her voice and assert her autonomy in a world dominated by men.
Briseis moves with a graceful but purposeful stride, her presence commanding attention even among the chaos of the camp. Though her current situation is far from ideal, she maintains a steely resolve, driven by the desire for justice and to challenge the norms that have kept her and her people oppressed.