Alcestis “The Loyal, Self-sacrificing”
“The Ultimate Sacrifice: The Myth of Alcestis Revealed!”
- Alias – None
- Gender – Female
- Race – Human
- Occupation – Queen
- Religion – Hellenic Pantheon
- Allies – King Admetus, family members, loyal subjects
- Enemies – None specified
- Abode/Base of operations – The palace in Pherae, Thessaly
- Nationality – Greek
- Languages – Greek
- Alignment – Lawful Good
- Affiliation(s) – The royal court of Pherae, Greek society
- Significant others – King Admetus (husband)
Alcestis, a noble and virtuous woman from ancient Greece, finds herself at the center of a profound and tragic tale that showcases the depths of human love and sacrifice. Her character is defined by her unwavering devotion and selflessness, as she embarks on a journey driven by a deep sense of duty and compassion.
Alcestis’s story revolves around her beloved husband, King Admetus, whose life hangs in the balance. Determined to secure his well-being, she makes a fateful decision. With courage in her heart, she chooses to sacrifice her own life in order to save his. It is through this act of supreme sacrifice that she aims to demonstrate the boundless extent of her love and the strength of her character.
Driven by an unwavering desire to protect her family and ensure their happiness, Alcestis willingly embraces her fate. She understands the magnitude of her sacrifice and willingly faces death, knowing that her actions will safeguard the future of her loved ones. Her story stands as a testament to the power of love, the resilience of the human spirit, and the capacity for selflessness that exists within the hearts of individuals.
Alcestis’s tale serves as a timeless reminder of the lengths to which one can go in the pursuit of love and the preservation of what truly matters. It highlights the moral fiber and indomitable spirit that can propel individuals to face unimaginable challenges, making her an enduring symbol of courage and devotion. Alcestis’s unwavering determination and selfless actions continue to inspire and resonate, showcasing the profound impact that a single individual can have on the lives of others.
Alcestis, Queen of Sacrifice
Medium humanoid (human), lawful good
Armor Class 16 (breastplate) Hit Points 135 (18d8 + 54) Speed 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||16 (+3)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Wis +8, Cha +9 Skills Persuasion +9, Religion +6 Senses passive Perception 14 Languages Common, Ancient Greek Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
Divine Aura. Alcestis emits an aura of divine presence within a 10-foot radius, granting advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened to friendly creatures.
Spellcasting. Alcestis is a 9th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). Alcestis has the following cleric spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): guidance, sacred flame, spare the dying
- 1st level (4 slots): bane, cure wounds, sanctuary
- 2nd level (3 slots): aid, hold person, spiritual weapon
- 3rd level (3 slots): beacon of hope, dispel magic, spirit guardians
- 4th level (3 slots): death ward, guardian of faith
- 5th level (1 slot): banishment, raise dead
Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage.
Healing Touch (3/Day). As a bonus action, Alcestis touches a creature and restores 3d8 + 5 hit points.
Channel Divinity: Sacrificial Blessing (1/Short Rest). Alcestis taps into her divine connection to grant a willing creature within 30 feet temporary hit points equal to 2d6 + 5.
Divine Intervention (1/Week). She can beseech her deity for intervention. The DM determines the nature of the intervention based on the situation.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If she fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
Equipment Breastplate, dagger, holy symbol, explorer’s pack, 40 gp
- Amulet of Divine Protection: Alcestis wears an amulet that grants her advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects.
- Ring of Healing Touch: Alcestis possesses a ring that allows her Healing Touch ability to be used an additional two times per day.
Shield of Sacrifice. When a friendly creature within 10 feet of Alcestis is targeted by an attack, she can use her reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll, potentially diverting the attack towards herself.
Fountain of Renewal. Alcestis can summon a fountain of rejuvenating water within her lair, restoring 2d6 hit points to herself and friendly creatures within 30 feet.
Aura of Resilience. Alcestis emanates an aura of resilience, granting resistance to all damage to friendly creatures within 10 feet.
- Alcestis is known for her selfless acts of sacrifice, willingly putting herself in harm’s way to protect others.
- She carries a dagger as a reminder of her mortal vulnerability despite her divine powers.
- Alcestis often prays and offers blessings to her deity, seeking guidance and strength to aid those in need.
- She prefers diplomacy and seeks peaceful resolutions whenever possible, using her persuasive abilities to sway others to her cause.
- Alcestis maintains a regal and composed demeanor, exuding a sense of grace and nobility.
- Her surroundings are adorned with symbols of devotion and divine blessings, reflecting her deep connection to the divine.
- The Quest for the Elixir of Life: She approaches the players with a desperate plea for help. She reveals that her beloved husband, King Admetus, has fallen gravely ill, and she is willing to do anything to save him. Drawing upon her divine connections, she has learned of an ancient elixir said to grant immortality and restore life. Alcestis tasks the players with embarking on a perilous journey to locate the elixir, navigating treacherous realms, overcoming mythical creatures, and outwitting cunning adversaries. The fate of King Admetus rests in their hands as they race against time to procure the elixir and bring it back to Alcestis.
- The Divine Bargain: Alcestis reveals that she made a sacrificial pact with the gods to save her husband’s life. However, the terms of the pact dictate that she must offer up her own life in exchange. Alcestis implores the players to find a way to break the pact without causing harm to herself or her husband. They must uncover forgotten rituals, seek counsel from ancient spirits, and delve into the mysteries of the divine realm. Along the way, they encounter divine beings who test their resolve and challenge their understanding of sacrifice and love. Their success in breaking the pact will determine the ultimate fate of Alcestis and her husband.
- The Trials of the Underworld: Alcestis, having journeyed to the realm of the dead and returned, seeks the aid of the players in a perilous task. She explains that she has discovered a hidden passage to the realm of Hades, and she believes it holds the key to undoing a great injustice. Alcestis tasks the players with navigating the treacherous depths of the underworld, braving the wrath of its denizens, and confronting the gods themselves. Along the way, they encounter lost souls, ancient guardians, and mythical creatures. The outcome of their quest will determine the balance between life and death and may even reshape the realm of the divine.
- The Festival of Alcestis: She invites the players to partake in a grand festival held in her honor. This celebration commemorates her legendary sacrifice and serves as a symbol of hope and selflessness. As honored guests, the players are given special tasks and responsibilities during the festival. They must navigate intricate rituals, engage in mythic performances, and interact with influential figures in attendance. Amidst the festivities, a hidden threat emerges, seeking to tarnish the legacy of Alcestis and disrupt the harmony of the celebration. The players must uncover the source of this malevolence, protect the sacred traditions, and ensure that the spirit of Alcestis’ sacrifice remains untarnished.
- The Divine Test of Worthiness: She, as a representative of the gods, challenges the players to prove their worthiness. She presents them with a series of trials inspired by her own legendary sacrifice and the virtues she embodies. These trials test their courage, compassion, selflessness, and integrity. Each trial brings them closer to understanding the profound meaning of sacrifice and the importance of embodying these virtues in their own lives. Success in the trials grants them divine blessings, while failure carries dire consequences. Ultimately, they seek Alcestis’ affirmation, gaining her respect and trust as they strive to become paragons of virtue.
Currently in the World
Alcestis is a woman of regal grace and beauty, with flowing golden hair that cascades down her shoulders. Her eyes, a shimmering shade of blue, hold both wisdom and compassion. Standing tall and elegant, she possesses an air of dignity befitting her royal status. Clad in a flowing gown adorned with intricate patterns and delicate embroidery, she exudes an aura of sophistication and refinement.
Currently, Alcestis can be found in the grand halls of her palace, engaging in various affairs of state. She sits upon a throne carved with intricate designs, a symbol of her authority and leadership. The room is adorned with rich tapestries, depicting scenes of heroic exploits and mythological tales. Soft light filters through the stained glass windows, casting a warm glow upon the chamber.
Despite the weight of her responsibilities, Alcestis maintains a calm and composed demeanor. Her expression carries a gentle serenity, a testament to her inner strength and resilience. She listens attentively to the concerns of her subjects, offering wise counsel and guidance. In her presence, there is an atmosphere of respect and admiration, as those around her recognize her noble character and benevolent nature.
Surrounded by the trappings of power and prestige, Alcestis carries herself with grace and humility. Her actions are driven by a deep sense of duty and love for her kingdom and its people. She strives to create a harmonious and prosperous society, where justice and compassion prevail. With unwavering determination, she works tirelessly to ensure the well-being and happiness of her subjects, embodying the true essence of a benevolent ruler.