Alexander Selkirk “Resilient Alexander Selkirk”
“Stranded, alone, and against all odds: The incredible survival tale of Alexander Selkirk.”
- Alias: The Castaway,
- Gender: Male,
- Race: Human,
- Occupation: Sailor, Adventurer,
- Religion: Unknown,
- Allies: The crew of his ship, fellow explorers,
- Enemies: Pirates, hostile tribes,
- Abode/Base of operations: Various ships and remote islands,
- Nationality: Scottish (Kingdom of Scotland)
- Languages: English, basic knowledge of other languages encountered during his travels,
- Alignment: Chaotic Good,
- Affiliation(s): British Royal Navy, Explorers’ Guild,
- Significant others: None known.
Alexander Selkirk is a man driven by an insatiable thirst for adventure and a longing for freedom. With an indomitable spirit and an unwavering desire to explore the unknown, he embarks on daring journeys that test his resilience and resourcefulness.
From a young age, Selkirk displayed a restless spirit, yearning for the thrill of discovery and the thrill of the open sea. As a seasoned sailor, he navigates treacherous waters, braving storms and battling formidable adversaries. His determination to chart uncharted territories and uncover hidden treasures pushes him to the limits of his physical and mental endurance.
Having experienced the harsh realities of the world firsthand, Selkirk seeks solace in the untamed wilderness. He yearns to escape the constraints of civilization and immerse himself in the raw beauty of nature. The vast expanses of unexplored lands call to him, offering a chance to find meaning and purpose beyond the confines of society.
Selkirk’s quest for freedom is not just physical, but also a quest for inner liberation. He seeks to break free from the constraints of societal expectations and forge his own path, guided only by his own instincts and principles. His adventures serve as a personal journey of self-discovery and self-reliance, as he learns to navigate the challenges of the world with courage and resilience.
Through his trials and triumphs, Alexander Selkirk aims to leave a lasting legacy. He desires to be remembered as an intrepid explorer, a fearless adventurer who dared to venture where others feared to tread. His ultimate goal is to make his mark on the annals of history, inspiring future generations to embrace the spirit of exploration and the pursuit of freedom.
In the present moment, Selkirk’s spirit is alive with anticipation. He stands on the precipice of another great adventure, his gaze fixed on the horizon as he prepares to set sail into the unknown. The wind whispers tales of untold wonders, and his heart beats with the excitement of what lies ahead. In this moment, his surroundings reflect both the excitement and the serenity of the open sea, with a salty breeze, the distant cry of seagulls, and the gentle sway of the ship beneath his feet.
Selkirk’s mood is a blend of determination and curiosity. He carries the weight of past experiences on his shoulders, yet he remains undeterred in his pursuit of new horizons. His eyes shine with a spark of adventure, and a faint smile plays on his lips as he readies himself for the challenges and wonders that await him.
In this present moment, Alexander Selkirk is a living embodiment of the indomitable human spirit, ready to chart his own course and leave an indelible mark on the tapestry of history.
5e Stat Block Alexander Selkirk, the Castaway
Medium humanoid (human), neutral
Armor Class 14 (hide armor) Hit Points 68 (8d8 + 32) Speed 30 ft.
|12 (+1)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)|
Skills Perception +4, Survival +6 Senses passive Perception 14 Languages Common, Survivalist’s Cant Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
Background: Castaway. Alexander Selkirk is proficient in Nature and Survival skills.
- Rugged Cutlass. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage.
- Improvised Thrown Weapon. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage.
- Survivor’s Instincts. Once per turn, when Alexander Selkirk is hit by an attack, he can use his reaction to halve the damage taken.
Evasive Maneuvers. When Alexander Selkirk is targeted by a ranged attack, he can use his reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.
Alexander Selkirk can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. He regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Rugged Defense. Alexander Selkirk gains a +2 bonus to his AC until the start of his next turn.
- Survivor’s Resilience. Alexander Selkirk regains 10 hit points.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Alexander Selkirk can take a lair action to cause one of the following effects:
- Island’s Wrath: Creatures within 60 feet of Alexander Selkirk must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 bludgeoning damage as the ground shakes and rocks tumble.
- Master of the Wild: Alexander Selkirk can cast the animal friendship spell targeting a creature within 60 feet that has an innate connection to nature, such as a bird or reptile.
- Survivor’s Vigor: Alexander Selkirk can use a bonus action to regain 1d10 + 2 hit points.
- Hide Armor
- Rugged Cutlass
- Improvised Thrown Weapons (stones, shells, etc.)
- Backpack with survival supplies (rope, flint and tinder, waterskin, etc.)
- Castaway’s Journal (contains maps, observations, and survival tips)
Alexander Selkirk is a weathered and rugged individual, with sun-kissed skin and a scruffy beard. His eyes gleam with resilience and determination, revealing the depths of his survival experiences. He wears a well-worn hide armor, bearing the marks of his encounters with the untamed wilderness.
Currently, Alexander Selkirk stands tall on the sandy shore of a deserted island, scanning the horizon with a mixture of hope and weariness. His surroundings consist of a lush tropical jungle with towering palm trees, pristine white beaches, and the distant sound of crashing waves. Despite the isolation, Selkirk maintains an unwavering spirit and resourcefulness, driven by his desire to survive and eventually find his way back to civilization.
Pathfinder Stat Block
|Human CR 8|
Any Medium humanoid
Ranger level 1 (skill points 10) Woodland Tracker (Guide ) , Rogue level 7 (skill points 84) Trap Expert (Pirate)
Init +3; Senses ; Perception +10
|AC 18, Touch 14, flat footed 14 ( Hide, Shield, none) (+3 Dexterity, +4 armour, +1 feats) |
hp 42 (0d8+1d10+7d8+1);
Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +1
Single Attack Spear +7 (1d8+1 X3) or musket +9 (1d12 X4)
Full Attack Spear +7/2 (1d8+1 X3), Axe, throwing +1 (1d6) or musket +9 (1d12 X4) range 40
Space 5ft.; Reach 5
|Rangers Focus -1 (Ex) Focus on a single. Bonus on attack and damage rolls against the target of his focus = 2|
Rangers Focus -2 (Ex) Per day = 1
Sneak Attack Sneak attack at an extra (D6) 4
|Strength 13, Dexterity 17, Constitution 11, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 8, Charisma 11|
Base Attack 6 CMB 7 ; CMD 21
Feats: Fast Stealth, Quick Disable, Armour Prof Light, Armour Prof Medium, Dodge, Evasion, Exotic Weapon Prof, Martial Weap Prof, Sea Legs, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Skill Focus (Disable Device), Skill Focus (Survival), Survivalist;
Survivalist: Adds Heal and Survival to her list of class skills.
Skills Acrobatics 13, Appraise 12, Bluff 0, Climb 8, Diplomacy 8, Disable Device 17, Disguise 7, Escape Artist 0, Handle Animal 0, Heal 3, Intimidate 7, Know Dungeon 7, Know Geography 8, Know Local 12, Know Nature 8, Linguistics 10, Perception 10, Ride 7, Sense Motive 6, Sleight of Hand 5, Stealth 11, Survival 13, Swim 2, Use Magic Device 8
|Evasion Reflex save no damage instead of 1/2 |
Reduce Class Feats reduce by 1
Swinging Reposition (Ex) In light armor on ship can reposition. After making a charge or bull rush, can move 5 ft
Uncanny Dodge Retains Dexterity bonus if flat footedUnflinching (Ex) saving throws against fear and mind-affecting effects bonus = 2
The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.
To use wild empathy, the druid and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.
A druid can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check.
Organization Company 10-20, Band 30-100, Squad 4-8
|ITEMS (max value 6000)Total Value =|
|Selkirk’s Holy Book |
Among pirates and other sailors there are many forms of punishment for disobedient crew members’ lashes, bastinado and loss of shares are just a few. None was more feared, however, than being marooned. Those unfortunates who suffered this penalty were provided usually with a firearm and power, and perhaps a few other items, before being put ashore on a desert island; they were then abandoned, usually forever.
Few and far between are the stories of maroons who survived to return to civilization. One person who did is the famous Alexander Selkirk. Following a disagreement with a Captain Stradling, during which Selkirk tried to persuade others to desert, the captain marooned him on a small island. There he stayed for more than four years, surviving by hunting goats and taming cats.
One of the items that helped him keep up his morale was a Holy Book from which he read every day. It is a small volume, one with a black leather cover embossed in gold. In game terms, the Holy Book grants to the person who possesses a +1 enhancement bonus to all saving throws. Furthermore, the book can be used to invoke the benefits of a remove fear spell, three times per day
- The Pariah’s Redemption: Alexander Selkirk was once a highly ambitious and reckless sailor who was marooned on the island due to his own hubris. He seeks redemption for his past actions, longing to make amends and find inner peace. Players can aid him in his journey of self-forgiveness, guiding him towards a path of redemption and helping him reconcile with his past mistakes. Along the way, they may encounter challenges that test their own capacity for forgiveness and understanding.
- Legacy of Solitude: Selkirk possesses intimate knowledge of an ancient civilization that once thrived on the island. Players can delve into the mysteries of this lost culture, deciphering their language, studying their artifacts, and uncovering the island’s forgotten history. As they piece together the fragments of this forgotten civilization, they may stumble upon powerful artifacts or uncover ancient rituals that hold great significance to the island and its people.
- Survivor’s Wisdom: Having survived on the island for years, Selkirk has acquired invaluable survival skills and knowledge. Players can learn from his expertise, discovering techniques for hunting, fishing, building shelters, and navigating treacherous terrain. Selkirk becomes their mentor, teaching them the secrets of resilience, resourcefulness, and adaptability. The bond formed through shared survival experiences creates a unique connection between Selkirk and the players, making them formidable allies in the face of adversity.
- The Island’s Curse: Selkirk firmly believes that a curse or dark magic has plagued the island, causing its inhabitants to suffer misfortune. Players can delve into the mysteries surrounding this curse, investigating its origins and seeking ways to break its grip on the land. Along the way, they may encounter ancient guardians, unravel ancient rituals, and confront malevolent spirits that are tied to the island’s curse. Their ultimate goal is to restore balance and harmony to the once-cursed land.
- Castaway’s Journal: Selkirk’s journal, filled with personal reflections, sketches, and survival tips, serves as a valuable guide for players exploring the island. The journal acts as a breadcrumb trail, leading players to hidden locations, important landmarks, and forgotten treasures. They can search for missing pages, decipher cryptic entries, and unravel the deeper meaning behind Selkirk’s musings. Each discovery brings them closer to understanding the island’s secrets and unraveling Selkirk’s own enigmatic past.
- Nemesis of Nature: Selkirk’s prolonged stay on the island has drawn the attention of formidable creatures that inhabit the land. As a survivor who has become intimately acquainted with the island’s wildlife, Selkirk has become both a target and a rival to these creatures. Players can aid him in facing these powerful adversaries, engaging in epic battles to protect the island’s fragile ecosystem. Their encounters with these creatures become a test of skill and a quest to restore the delicate balance between human and nature.
- The Forgotten Ship: Selkirk reveals the existence of a long-abandoned shipwreck hidden deep within the island’s dense jungle. The shipwreck holds secrets, treasures, and perhaps even clues to Selkirk’s past. Players embark on a perilous expedition to reach the shipwreck, overcoming dangerous obstacles and unraveling the fate of its ill-fated crew. The journey not only tests their physical prowess but also uncovers hidden depths of the island’s mysteries.
- Shadows of Solitude: Selkirk senses the presence of unseen entities that haunt the island, their ethereal forms flickering at the edge of his perception. These mysterious beings lurk in the dense foliage, whispering secrets and tempting Selkirk with promises of forbidden knowledge. Players can join him in his quest to uncover the truth behind these ethereal entities, venturing into the heart of darkness to confront the source of his torment. The journey becomes a battle against the unknown and a test of courage and resolve.
- Survivor’s Trials: Selkirk challenges players to endure a series of trials and tests, designed to push their physical and mental limits. These trials reflect the harsh realities of island life, forcing players to navigate treacherous terrain, survive extreme weather conditions, and overcome physical obstacles. Overcoming these trials earns their respect and the right to learn Selkirk’s most guarded secrets of survival. Through these trials, the players not only prove their worth but also unlock new abilities or gain insights into the island’s secrets.
- Echoes of Civilization: Despite finding solace in the island’s isolation, Selkirk yearns for glimpses of civilization and human contact. He sends players on quests to establish communication with passing ships, light signal fires to attract attention, or devise ways to escape the island’s isolation. Together, they strive to bridge the gap between the forgotten castaway and the outside world, unraveling the complexities of human connection and the longing for a sense of belonging.
Currently in the World
Alexander Selkirk is a rugged man with sun-kissed skin, a testament to his days spent under the scorching sun. His once neatly trimmed beard has grown wild, and his sun-bleached hair falls loosely around his face. His piercing blue eyes carry a mix of determination and weariness, reflecting the hardships he has endured.
Currently, Alexander stands on a secluded beach, surrounded by the vast expanse of the ocean. The rhythmic sound of crashing waves fills the air, and the salty breeze tousles his unkempt hair. He wears tattered clothing, remnants of his time as a castaway, showing signs of wear and tear from his solitary adventures.
His mood is a blend of resilience and longing. Though he has grown accustomed to solitude and self-reliance, there is an underlying yearning for human connection and a sense of belonging. The hardships he has faced have shaped him into a survivor, but the isolation has left a mark on his spirit, driving him to seek companionship and a purpose beyond mere survival.