(Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead)
Level: Sorcerer, Wizard 2, Hunger 2,
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 minute
Effect: One ghoul glyph that must fit within a 1-ft. square
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
- You inscribe a glyph that paralyzes any living creature of Large or smaller size that enters, passes, or opens the warded area.
- You can scribe the glyph to be visible as faintly glowing lines, or invisible.
- You can inscribe a ghoul glyph on a portable object, but if the object is moved more than 5 feet, the glyph fades.
Conditions for triggering a ghoul glyph are stringent.
- It takes effect on any creature except yourself that moves to or within 2 feet of it.
- It affects invisible creatures normally but is not triggered by those that travel past it ethereally.
- Only a single ghoul glyph can be inscribed in a 5-foot square.
- Ghoul glyphs cannot be affected or bypassed by such means as physical or magical probing, though they can be dispelled. Mislead and nondetection can fool a ghoul glyph. Read magic allows identification of a ghoul glyph with a successful DC 13 Spellcraft check, if the glyph is noticed before it is activated. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a ghoul glyph and Disable Device to thwart it. The DC in each case is 27.
- When a glyph is activated, the subject is paralyzed for 1d6+2 rounds. Additionally, if the subject fails his Fortitude save, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench that causes retching and nausea in a 10-foot radius.
- Those in the radius must make a Fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks until the spell ends.
Material Component: You trace the glyph with earth from a ghoul’s lair.