The Infinite Staircase
“The Staircase is the goal of every longing heart, the road to every dream.”
The Infinite Staircase, sometimes knownas the Celestial Staircase or the Celestial Stairway, was a network of pathways linking the Realms with the planes.
- The Infinite Staircase has doors that lead to many different planes.
- The Staircase joins with any area on a plane where intelligent creatures have expressed some sort of creative spirit.
- Stairs that lead to evil planes are cold and shadowy. Stairs that lead to Upper Planes are clean, bright and warm.
- Gravity changes from landing to landing.
- Each landing has a door. The keys to the doors are always mysteries, riddles and puzzles.
- Dark passages are said to lead to cities where all magic fails or where visitors age, wither and die.
- The Staircase is guarded by Lillend, snake-women who serve a moon goddess.
- Those who offend the moon-goddess are trapped here.
- The Staircase is always under construction. The builders are always heard but never seen.
- Strange creatures of elemental time supervise its operation.
- A person can travel the staircase to get to the city of their heart’s desire, but only once. This usually only happens to lone travelers.
- There’s a guild of adventurers who live on the Staircase, known as The Planewalker’s Guild.