This phoenix-like humanoid is surrounded by a halo of radiant energy. Its spear is tipped with a carved crystal blade.
Enigmatic and swift to anger, the avian race known as the jyoti are xenophobic natives of the Positive Energy Plane. Though some believe the jyoti are inherently good because their home plane is the source of all life, these beliefs are quite in error, for the jyoti react to all other races with wary suspicion at best, and usually assume the worst and attack before they can themselves be attacked.
They guard their crystalline cities from all intrusion, especially by Creatures from other planes and servants of the gods. They have been known to hold dangerous artifacts in their vaults on behalf of desperate visitors, though in the case of holy or unholy artifacts, the jyoti are more likely to destroy the artifacts as soon as possible.
Jyoti loathe natives of the Shadow Plane and the Negative Energy Plane in particular, though there is an element of pity in their actions toward undead. They never discuss the sceaduinar, and even hearing that name inflames jyoti into immediate anger. Those who dare argue on the sceaduinar’s behalf are immediately attacked.
Medium celestial, neutral
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 152 (16d8 + 80)
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.
|15 (+2)||21 (+5)||20 (+5)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||17 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dex +8, Cha +7
Skills Insight +6, Intimidation +7, Perception +6, Stealth +9
Damage Resistances fire, lightning
Damage Immunities poison, radiant
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Auran, Garuda
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
- Breath of Life. Creatures within 30 feet of the jyoti have advantage on death saving throws. If the jyoti casts cure wounds on a creature at 0 hit points, that creature heals the maximum amount.
- Divine Aversion. Jyoti dislike deities and their divine spellcasting servants. They have advantage on saving throws against magical spells or attacks cast by clerics and paladins, as well as those used by celestials and fiends.
- Innate Spellcasting. The jyoti’s spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 3/day each: cure wounds, (cast as a 3rd-level spell), daylight, guiding bolt
- 1/day each: dimension door, lesser restoration
- Positive Affinity. The jyoti can exist comfortably on the Positive Plane. It is never harmed (and does not benefit) from environmental effects of the Positive Plane. In addition, because of their attunement to positive energy, any cure wounds spell or similar healing effect always heals the maximum amount when used on a jyoti.
- Regeneration. The jyoti regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If it takes necrotic damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of its next turn. The jyoti dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn’t regenerate.
- Multiattack. The garuda makes one bite attack and two spear attacks, or attacks with its radiant breath.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage and 3 (1d6) radiant damage.
- Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage or 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage two-handed and 10 (3d6) radiant damage. If the jyoti scores a critical hit with its spear against an undead or creature from the Negative Plane or Shadowfell, that creature takes an additional 21 (6d6) radiant damage. The jyoti’s spear is a magical weapon in its hands.
- Radiant Breath (Reset 5-6). The jyoti breathes out a gout of radiant light in either a 60-foot line (5 feet wide) or in a 30-foot-long cone. Creatures in the area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or take 38 (11d6) radiant damage, or half as much on a successful save. Living creatures failing their Dexterity saving throw must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of their next turn. Undead failing their Dexterity saving throw take an additional 11 radiant damage.
Section 15: Copyright Notice
Asian Monsters (5E) © 2021, Legendary Games; Authors Miguel Colon, Jason Nelson, Andrew Ha, Aurélien Lainé, Dan Dillon, Ismael Alvarez, James-Levi Cooke, Robert J. Grady, Jeff Ibach, Matt Kimmel, and Thurston Hillman
Jyoti CR 9
N Medium outsider (extraplanar)
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +20
AC 24, touch 16, flat-footed 18 (+4 armor, +5 Dex, +1 dodge, +4 natural)
hp 104 (11d10+44); fast healing 10
Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +11; +2 vs. divine
Defensive Abilities divine aversion, positive energy affinity; Immune death attacks, disease, energy drain, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, sonic 10; SR 20
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft. (good)
Melee +1 ghost touch spear +14/+9/+4 (1d8+4/×3 plus 1d6 fire), bite +8 (1d6+1 plus 1d6 fire)
Ranged ray +16 ranged touch (by spell)
Special Attacks breath weapon (60-ft. cone, 11d6 fire, Reflex DC 19 half, usable once every 1d4 rounds), positive energy
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 11th; concentration +13)
3/day—aid, cure serious wounds, daylight, dimension door, lesser restoration, searing light
1/day—breath of life, disrupting weapon
Str 14, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15
Base Atk +11; CMB +13; CMD 29
Feats Combat Casting, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Iron Will, Mobility, Wind Stance
Skills Fly +9, Heal +16, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (planes) +19, Knowledge (religion) +19, Perception +20, Sense Motive +16, Stealth +19; Racial Modifiers +4 Knowledge (planes), +4 Knowledge (religion), +4 Perception
Languages Aquan, Auran, Common, Ignan, Terran
Breath Weapon (Su)
A jyoti’s breath weapon is a focused burst of searing fire infused with positive energy. Undead in the area take 11d8 damage rather than 11d6.
Divine Aversion (Su)
Jyoti dislike deities and are never divine spellcasters. Jyoti gain a +2 racial bonus on saves against divine magical effects.
Positive Energy (Su)
A jyoti’s natural weapons and any weapons it wields strike as if they were ghost touch weapons. In addition, any weapon (natural or manufactured) a jyoti uses deals +1d6 fire damage on a hit.
Positive Energy Affinity (Ex)
A jyoti can exist comfortably on the Positive Energy Plane, and does not benefit (or suffer) from that plane’s overwhelming infusions of life-giving energies. Whenever a jyoti is subjected to a magical healing effect, that effect functions at its full potential, as if enhanced by Maximize Spell.
Environment any (Positive Energy Plane)
Organization solitary, pair, or flight (3–8)
Treasure double (+1 ghost touch spear, other treasure)
Section 15: Copyright Notice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 2, © 2010, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, Graeme Davis, Crystal Frasier, Joshua J. Frost, Tim Hitchcock, Brandon Hodge, James Jacobs, Steve Kenson, Hal MacLean, Martin Mason, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, Sean K Reynolds, F. Wesley Schneider, Owen K.C. Stephens, James L. Sutter, Russ Taylor, and Greg A. Vaughan, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.