This lanky dragon’s dappled grayish scales and sprawling wings shift and fade in color, blending in with the mist.
Mist drakes are less openly aggressive than most drakes, as they are not as physically strong and imposing as most of their kin. Their bodies are narrow and serpentine, more suited for quick strikes and hit-and-run tactics than for close combat.
However, they excel at stealth for creatures of their size, and can expel a burst of thick fog whenever they need to create a diversion or screen themselves from archers trying to target them.
In the mist, they move swiftly and silently to disperse groups of foes with their explosive breath and then single out one of their enemies for a quick and deadly attack before their victim’s allies can regroup and come to its rescue. Mist drakes mate only once few decades, but are more caring parents than others of their ilk. After the clutch of two to six eggs hatch, the hatchlings stay with their mother for up to 20 years before seeking out their own hunting territory. Mist drakes live up to 200 years. A typical mist drake is 13 feet long from head to tail tip, but these lithe dragons rarely weigh more than 1,000 pounds.
Large dragon, neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 136 (16d10+48)
Speed 30 ft., fly 80 ft.
|19 (+4)||15 (+2)||16 (+3)||9 (-1)||12 (+1)||10 (+0)|
Saving Throws Con +6, Dex +5, Str +7
Skills Athletics +7, Perception +4, Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Fog Vision. The drake can see through fog or mist as if it were not there.
- Innate Spellcasting. The drake’s spell casting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 3/day each: fog cloud
- Misty Camouflage. While in fog or mist, the drake’s Stealth bonus is +8. Additionally, while in or adjacent to an area of fog or mist, the drake can use the Stealth skill even while being observed.
- Speed Surge (3/day). A drake can draw on its draconic heritage for a boost of strength and speed that allows it to double its movement speeds that round.
- Multiattack. The drake makes one bite attack and one tail attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, 10 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 20 (3d10 + 4) piercing damage.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, 10 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
- Fogburst (Recharge 5-6). A drake can expel a ball of solid mist that explodes into a cloud of fog upon impact. This attack has a range of 60 feet and deals 17 (5d6) points of bludgeoning damage to all creatures in a 20-foot radius if they fail a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, or half as much on a successful save. Flying creatures in this area that fail a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be pushed back to the edge of this radius, taking 3 (1d6) damage per 5 feet they travel if they end up striking a solid object. Creatures on land must succeed a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Section 15: Copyright Notice
The Dragon’s Hoard #7 © 2021, Legendary Games; Authors Jason Nelson, Miguel Colon, Robert J. Grady, Michael “solomani” Mifsud, Matt Kimmel, Scott D. Young, Mark Hart, and Jeff Ibach.
Mist Drake CR 5
NE Large dragon (air)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., fogvision, low-light vision, scent; Perception +10
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +1 dodge, +7 natural, –1 size)
hp 57 (6d12+18)
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Immune paralysis, sleep
Speed 30 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
Melee bite +9 (2d6+4), tail slap +4 (1d8+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks fogburst
Str 19, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 10
Base Atk +6; CMB +11; CMD 24
Feats Dodge, Flyby Attack, Hover
Skills Fly +9, Intimidate +9, Perception +10, Stealth +7 (+15 in fog or mist), Survival +10; Racial Modifiers +8 Stealth in fog or mist
SQ misty camouflage, speed surge
As a standard action, a mist drake can expel a ball of solid mist that explodes into a cloud of fog upon impact. This attack has a range of 60 feet and deals 3d6 points of bludgeoning damage to all creatures in a 20-foot radius (Reflex DC 16 half).
A flying creatures that fails its Reflex save is pushed 1d4 × 5 feet from the center of the fogburst’s area of effect (taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet if it strikes a solid object), while creatures on the ground are knocked prone on a failed save. The area of effect of the fogburst is filled with mist (as obscuring mist) for 1d4 rounds after impact. Once a mist drake has used its fogburst attack, it cannot do so again for 1d6 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.
A mist drake can see normally through any form of natural or magical mist, fog, or precipitation.
A mist drake can use Stealth to hide whenever it is in or adjacent to an area of mist, even while being observed.
Three times per day as a swift action, a mist drake can draw on its draconic heritage for a boost of strength and speed that enables it to take an additional move action in that round.
Environment cold or temperate coasts, hills, or marshes
Organization solitary, pair, or rampage (3–12)
Section 15: Copyright Notice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 4 © 2013, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, Savannah Broadway, Ross Byers, Adam Daigle, Tim Hitchcock, Tracy Hurley, James Jacobs, Matt James, Rob McCreary, Jason Nelson, Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Sean K Reynolds, F. Wesley Schneider, Tork Shaw, and Russ Taylor.