A shaggy devilish humanoid lopes forth on cloven hooves, a long tongue darting from between its lips as if tasting the air. It clutches a gnarled staff in one clawed hand. Ridged horns spiral from its brow.
Taken from Creature Codex
A percht is a vicious crusader against wickedness, using whatever means necessary to eliminate dishonesty and treachery in all of its forms. The origins of perchten are unknown—some speculate that they are the offspring of a vengeful god, whereas others hold that they are devils escaped from Hell and acclimated to the Material Plane.
All perchten seek to punish those they consider to be dishonest, regardless of the motivation behind the indiscretions of their victims. A serial criminal is just as likely to be attacked as a beggar who has stolen once in order to keep from starving. A percht’s targets are assaulted violently with its staff and natural weapons—such victims are almost always left alive as a warning to others. Only if a victim attempts to fight back will the percht resort to lethal violence. Perchten like to think of themselves as incorruptible, but they can be bribed—cookies, cakes and alcoholic beverages are favorites of perchten, who will often overlook small discretions in exchange.
Perchten are creatures of darkness, only active at night and usually only during the winter. Perchten spend much of the year hibernating in caves or hollow trees. They enjoy the company of other perchten, and may form gangs to dole out their harsh justice to entire communities. A percht stands almost seven feet tall and weighs 250 pounds.
Female perchten, known singly as perchta, are altogether more cunning and dangerous than their male kin. A perchta’s concerns lead more towards industriousness than honesty, and her smell wickedness ability targets those who have neglected a duty within the last week instead of liars and thieves. A perchta is an advanced percht with alter self and major creation as spell-like abilities usable three times per day. A perchta is CR 8.
Percht CR 7
LE Medium monstrous humanoid
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., Perception +15, scent, smell wickedness
AC 18, touch 13,flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 85 (9d10+36)
Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +9
Resist cold 10, fire 10
Defensive Abilities fear-eater
Weakness light sensitivity
Speed 30 ft., snow stride
Melee shillelagh +13/+8 (2d6+5 plus pain), shillelagh +13 (2d6+5 plus pain), gore +8 (1d6+2) or 2 claws +13 (1d4+4), gore +13 (1d6+4)
Spell-like Abilities CL 9th, concentration +11
Constant—discern lies (DC 16), shillelagh
At will—jump, produce flame
1/day—dimension door, fear (DC 16)
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 15
Base Atk +9; CMB +13; CMD 26
Feats Dazzling Display, Double Slice, Intimidating Prowess, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (quarterstaff)
Skills Acrobatics +12, Climb +11, Intimidate +15, Perception +12, Sense Motive +9, Stealth +12, Survival +12
Languages Aklo, Common, Infernal
SQ nonlethal mastery
Environment cold forests
Organization solitary, pair or posse (3-8)
Treasure standard plus masterwork quarterstaff
- Fear-Eater (Su) A percht gains fast healing 5 whenever it is within 30 feet of a creature suffering from the shaken, frightened, cowering or panicked conditions.
- Nonlethal Mastery (Ex) A percht can deal non-lethal damage with any weapon or with its natural attacks without penalty.
- Pain (Su) A creature struck by any manufactured weapon wielded by a percht must succeed a DC 16 Fortitude save or become sickened with pain for 1 minute. Multiple blows do not stack. The save DC is Charisma based. This is an ability of the percht, not its weapon.
- Smell Wickedness (Su) A percht can use scent to pinpoint creatures that have lied, cheated or stolen within the past week. The percht can detect the presence of such creatures within 60 feet, and can pinpoint their square within 20 feet.
- Snow Stride (Su) A percht can move through snowy or icy conditions without penalty.