|Originally Posted by Shade of the En World forums.|
On this Thread
The torso, head, and arms are those of a silvery-skinned humanoid with blue-green hair. Its lower half looks like a cross between a horse and a fish, with silver-blue scales, fins instead of hooves, and a fishlike tail.
Sea centaurs appear to be a cross between a triton and a hippocampus. Sea centaurs are nomadic, living in small families or among tritons and hippocampi. They sometimes agree to serve as mounts for tritons. Sea centaurs share the tritons’ emnity towards Daemon Tritones, and
serve as cavalry in the ongoing war between those two races.
A sea centaur is 12 to 15 feet long and weighs about 2,400 pounds. Hair color ranges from deep blue to blue-green. Sea centaurs speak Common and Aquan.
|Large monstrous humanoid (Aquatic)|
|Hit Dice||5d8+15 (37 hp)|
|Speed||5 ft. (1 square), Swim 60 ft. (12 squares)|
|Armor Class||17 (-1 size, +2 Dexterity, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15|
|Attack||trident +8 melee (2d6+3) or heavy crossbow +7 ranged (2d8/19–20)|
|Full Attack||trident +8 melee (2d6+3) or heavy crossbow +7 ranged (2d8/19–20)|
|Space/Reach||10 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Qualities||Darkvision 60 ft.|
|Saves||Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +7|
|Abilities||Strength 16, Dexterity 15, Constitution 16, Intelligence 13, Wisdom 13, Charisma 11|
|Skills||Listen +11, Spot +11, Survival +8, Swim +12|
|Feats||Alertness, Iron Will|
|Organization||Solitary, family (2-3), company (1-3 plus 2-5 tritons), squad (1-3 plus 6-11 tritons), or band (1-3 plus 20-80 tritons)|
|Treasure||No coins; standard goods (jewelry only); standard items|
|Alignment||Usually chaotic good|
|Advancement||By character class|
Like tritons, sea centaurs prefer to avoid combat, but will fiercely defend their families and allies.
Skills: A sea centaur has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a
Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #116 (1986).
Sea Centaurs As Characters
A sea centaur’s favored class is druid.
Sea centaur clerics worship Amphitrite and can choose any two of the following domains: Artifice, Protection, and Water. Sea centaur characters
possess the following racial traits. * +6 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom.
- * Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- * Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
- * A nomadic centaur’s base land speed is 5 feet. A sea centaur has a Swim speed of 60 ft.
- * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- * Racial Hit Dice: A sea centaur begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- * Racial Skills: A sea centaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (2 + Intelligence modifier). Its class skills are Listen, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
- * Racial Feats: A sea centaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- * +6 natural armor bonus.
- * Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Sahuagin.
- * Favored Class: druid.
- * Level adjustment +2.