Monster Encyclopaedia I: Ravagers of the Realms
Author August Hahn, Gareth Hanrahan, Lizard
Series Monster Encyclopaedia
Publisher Mongoose Publishing
Publish date 2004
The magic of the green world flows through the forest and the wilderness. druid draw upon this magic, weaving it into their spells and prayers. They have this right because of their role as defenders and champions of the green world. In some places, though, there are no druid loyal to the green, none who uphold the ancient traditions and sacred rites of the green.
In such places, the green world makes its own champions. An animal born in the wilderness is infused with that green magic, transforming and mutating that animal into one of the greenfolk: a humanoid, green-furred creature charged with nature magic. The greenfolk instinctively wield their druidic spells in the defence of the wilderness and the green world that birthed them. They are feral beings with no culture or history beyond the needs of the wild.
‘Greenfolk’ is a template that can be applied to any Small or larger animal or dire animal, referred to hereafter as the base creature.
- Size and Type: Change to monstrous humanoid; size remains unchanged
- Hit Dice: Unchanged
- Speed: Unchanged
- Armour Class: Unchanged
- Attack: As per the base creature, but as greenfolk are humanoids, they can use weapons as normal
- Full Attack: As per the base creature
- Damage: As per the base creature
- Special Attacks: As per the base creature
- Special Qualities: As per the base creature, but all greenfolk have druid as a favoured class
- Abilities: The abilities of the base creature are modified as follows: Strength +0, Dexterity +0, Constitution +0, Intelligence +4, Wisdom +4, Charisma +0
- Skills: Recalculate skill points based on the creature’s new Intelligence; Knowledge (nature) and Survival are always class skills for greenfolk
- Feats: Unchanged
- Environment: As per the base creature
- Organisation: As per the base creature
- Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1
- Treasure: Standard
- Alignment: Greenfolk always have at least one neutral component to their alignment
- Advancement: By class
- Level Adjustment: Depends on the base creature’s ability score adjustment total. Calculate this by working out the difference between the greenfolk’s ability scores and a value of 10-11 for each score, then add up the total of the differences.
|Ability Score Adjustment Total||Level Adjustment|
|+0 to +2||+0|
|+3 to +4||+1|
|+5 to +6||+3|
|+7 to +10||+4|
|+11 to +15||+5|
|+16 or more||+6|
For example, a greenboar has the ability scores of Strength 15, Constitution 17, Dexterity 10, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 17, Charisma 4. Working out the difference between each of these scores and 10-11 gives the following results: Strength +4, Constitution +6, Dexterity +0, Intelligence – 4, Wisdom +6, Charisma -6. The total modifiers are
+6, so a greenboar has a +3 level adjustment.
Greenfolk as Player Characters
Greenfolk are always druid, but can multiclass as normal. They have no culture or background and rarely have much understanding of life outside the forest.
- Calculate the greenfolk’s ability score modifiers as above
- Variable size
- Natural attacks as per the base creature
- Favoured Class: druid
- Level Adjustment: Varies
A boar-headed humanoid dressed in leathers and furs stands before you, its paws grasping a heavy quarterstaff.
Its fur and skin have an eerie greenish tinge.
This greenboar druid is a warrior of the woodlands. She has little patience for ‘civilised’ ways, preferring to just smash anything that threatens nature. As her power grows, she will have little compunction about using potent druid spells to drive outsiders out of her domain.
|Medium monstrous humanoid (druid 2)|
|Hit Dice||5d8+18 (40 hp)|
|Speed||40 ft. (8 squares)|
|Armour Class||20 (+7 natural, +3 Hide), touch 10, flatfooted 20|
|Attack||quarterstaff +4 melee (1d6+2)|
|Full Attack||quarterstaff +4 melee (1d6+2)|
|Space/Reach||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Attacks||Ferocity, spells|
|Special Qualities||Animal companion, Low-Light Vision, nature sense, Scent, wild empathy, woodland stride|
|Saves||Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +7|
|Abilities||Strength 15, Dexterity 10, Constitution 17, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 17, Charisma 4|
|Skills||Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (nature) +0, Listen +5, Spot +4, Survival +7|
|Feats||Combat Casting, Toughness|
Save DC 13 + spell level.
Items: amulet of natural armour +1.