With draconic scales covering much of its body, this staglike creature moves with awe-inspiring grace.
KIRIN CR 7
LG Large magical beast (air)
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, low-light vision, scent; Perception +17
AC 20, touch 15, flat-footed 14 (+6 Dex, +5 natural, –1 size)
hp 85 (9d10+36)
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10
Resist cold 10, electricity 30, fire 10; SR 18
Speed 60 ft., fly 120 ft. (good)
Melee gore +14 (1d8+5), 2 hooves +8 (1d6+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks breath weapon (15-ft. cone, 5d6 fire damage, Reflex DC 18 for half, usable every 1d4 rounds), powerful charge (gore, 2d8+14)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th; concentration +15)
- Constant—detect evil, water walk
- At will—gaseous form, gust of wind
- 1/day—break enchantment, create food and water, major creation, wind walk (self only)
Spells Known (CL 6th; concentration +12)
- 3rd (4/day)—lightning bolt (DC 19)
- 2nd (7/day)—lesser restoration, scorching ray
- 1st (8/day)—color spray (DC 17), cure light wounds, disguise self, remove fear, sanctuary (DC 17)
- 0 (at will)—arcane mark, create water, detect magic, guidance, mage hand, mending, stabilize
Str 20, Dex 23, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 21, Cha 23
Base Atk +9; CMB +15; CMD 31 (35 vs. trip)
Feats Combat Casting, Eschew MaterialsB, Flyby Attack, Hover, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (gore)
Skills Diplomacy +15, Fly +20, Knowledge (history) +13, Perception +17, Perform (sing) +15, Sense Motive +14
Languages Abyssal, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.
Organization solitary or pair
Spells A kirin casts spells as a 6th-level sorcerer, and can cast spells from the cleric list as well as those normally available to a sorcerer. Cleric spells are considered arcane spells for a kirin, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.
The noble kirin roam the sky, their feet rarely touching soil. They have a stag’s graceful body and cloven hooves, a pair of backward-facing horns, and a thick mane and tail ranging from golden to brilliant reds or purples in the hues of the setting sun. Their hide resembles that of a dragon, the scales gleaming ebon or iridescent green.
Rare in the extreme, kirin seldom meddle openly in worldly affairs, preferring a subtle hand in overturning the schemes of wicked spirits such as hags and oni. The blood of young kirin runs hot, however, and such spirited youths may serve as mounts for cavaliers and paladins of clever wit and untarnished moral quality.
The wisest and most powerful kirin are known as emperor kirin, having earned this title through the respect of their peers and the strength of their powers. They resemble standard kirin, except their hooves give off sparks as they gallop through the air.
Emperor kirin have the advanced creature simple template and additional racial Hit Dice. When advancing a kirin’s Hit Dice to create an emperor kirin, make the following additional changes.
- CR: Increase by 1 + the number of additional HD.
- Breath Weapon: Damage increases by 1d6 for every 2 additional HD.
- Spellcasting: Increase sorcerer level (for the purpose of spells known and spells per day) by 1 per additional HD.
- Spell-Like Abilities: Increase caster level by +1 per additional HD.
- Spell Resistance: Increase by +1 per additional HD.