Magical Beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2 (in which case the creature knows at least one language, but can’t necessarily speak). Magical Beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but are sometimes merely bizarre in appearance or habits.
A magical beast has the following features.
- d10 Hit Die.
- Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (fast progression).
- Good Fortitude and Reflex saves.
- Skill points equal to 2 + Intelligence modifier (minimum 1) per Hit Die. The following are class skills for magical beasts: Acrobatics, Climb, Fly, Perception, Stealth, Swim.
- Traits: A magical beast possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- Darkvision 60 feet.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Proficient with its natural weapons only.
- Proficient with no armor.
- Magical beasts breathe, eat, and sleep.
MAGICAL BEASTS IN FAERIE
Magical beasts, particularly those native to Faerie, tend to live in animalistic terms, hunting and foraging for most of their time. However, unlike intelligent plants, which generally obsess over the natural order in their immediate area, magical beasts tend to be more social and concern themselves with personal glory, relationships, and pursuing abstract ideals aside from natural balance, such as good or chaos.
Unicorns, pegasi, and a few others are so well-integrated into fey society that they sometimes adopt archfey or Powers of their own species as their lords much as fey often do. Others, such as the thrasfyr, are bound to serve powerful masters and vanish quietly to the fringes of Faerie when left to their own devices.
Among the most dangerous magical beasts in Faerie are krakens, who are both power-hungry and mighty enough to overpower most other beings aside from fey nobles and giant warlords. These vile and mysterious creatures lurk in the deep seas of Faerie, away from most fey concerns and the influence of most beings aside from a few Fomorians and archfey associated with the Court of Coral.