A hulking, misshapen biped. Its flabby, pear-shaped body has a third arm growing from its chest.
Immensely strong, an an athach can hammer most opponents to gory paste. An adult stands some 18 feet tall and weighs about 4,500 pounds. They speak a crude dialect of Giant.
Originally posted by Evandar_TAybara of the Wizards Community forums.
|18||This huge, portly giant-like creature is in fact an athach, identifiable by its third arm and its unbelievable stench. This result reveals all aberration traits.|
|23||As well as being superb melee combatants, athachs can hurl rocks as skillfully as most giants, and have a nasty poisonous bite that can drain the strength of its victims. Athachs speak a crude dialect of giant.|
|28||Though having no sense of personal hygene, athachs do have a love for the finery of gems, crystals and jewellery – a passion only matched by their love of food and violence. Though fearful of most giantkin, athachs hate hill giants with a passion and will usually attack them on sight.|
Huge giant, chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (scale mail)
Hit Points 230 (20d12 + 100)
Speed 50 ft.
|29 (+9)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)||7 (-2)||12 (+1)||6 (-3)|
Saving Throws Str +14, Con +10
Skills Athletics + 14, Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Giant, Orc
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
- Multiattack. The athach makes two heavy mace attacks or (when available) tricky!
- Heavy mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 30 (6d6 + 9) bludgeoning damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (1d10 + 9) piercing damage plus 6 (2d6) poison damage.
- Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 35 (4d12 + 9) bludgeoning damage.
- Tricky! (1/Day). The athach pulls three fuzzy objects from her bag of tricks and flings them into combat.
- Swift Claw. When the athach is hit by a melee attack, she can make a claw attack against the creature that struck her.
- GEAR The athach’s favorite toy is a tan bag of tricks that lies among the tangle of her sleeping furs. If she hears PCs approaching, she uses the bag in combat, but if she’s surprised, she doesn’t take the time to dig it out.
Section 15: Copyright Notice
Legendary Planet Adventure Path (5E) © 2020, Legendary Games; Authors: Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Steven T. Helt, Tim Hitchcock, Jason Nelson, Richard Pett, Tom Phillips, Mike Shel, Neil Spicer, Mike D. Welham
Source(s) 3.5E Monster Manual I, 3E Monster Manual I, Mystara Appendix, Master Boxed Set, Rules Cyclopedia
|Hit Dice||14d8+70 (133 hp)|
|Speed||35 ft. in hide armor (7 squares); base speed 50 ft.|
|Armor Class||20 (-2 size, +1 Dexterity, +3 hide armor, +8 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 19|
|Attack||Morningstar +16 melee (3d6+8) or rock +9 ranged (2d6+8)|
|Full Attack||Morningstar +12/+7 melee (3d6+8), and 2 Morningstars +12 melee (3d6+4),and bite +12 melee (2d8+4 plus poison);or rock +5 ranged (2d6+8), and 2 rocks +5 ranged (2d6+4)|
|Space/Reach||15 ft./15 ft.|
|Special Qualities||Darkvision 60 ft.|
|Saves||Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10|
|Abilities||Strength 26, Dexterity 13, Constitution 21, Intelligence 7, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6|
|Skills||Climb +9, Jump +18, Listen +7, Spot +7|
|Feats||Alertness, Cleave, Multiweapon Fighting, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)|
|Organization||Solitary, gang (2-4), or tribe (7-12)|
|Treasure||½ coins; double goods; standard items|
|Alignment||Often chaotic evil|
|Advancement:||15-28 HD (Huge)|
They charge into melee combat unless their opponents are out of reach, in which case they throw rocks. They sometimes try to overrun armored opponents to reach unarmored opponents in back ranks. With its first few melee attacks, an athach tends to flail about indiscriminately. After a few rounds, it concentrates on foes that have been hitting it most often and uses its bite on whoever has dealt it the most damage.